Going to Cozumel for the first time, any tips or advice appreciated :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking through to find posts about currents in Cozumel as I'm heading to Mexico in June, and wondered whether it would be better to do the drift diving course in Isla Mujeres as the currents are milder. It's good to know that first timers have been OK in Cozumel :)

I was looking through to find posts about currents in Cozumel as I'm heading to Mexico in June, and wondered whether it would be better to do the drift diving course in Isla Mujeres as the currents are milder. It's good to know that first timers have been OK in Cozumel :)
Really, few divers have problems with the currents, even newbies - but IMO, a private DM the first couple of dives would be worth the money. I don't think a course/card is really needed, but then it might be rewarding. I've done courses/cards that were not very rewarding. Have a great trip. :pilot:

Hire a dedicated DiveMaster for your first dives...he will focus on just you two. Let him know of your experience level, anxieties, etc...cheap investment in safety and enjoyment. You will love the diving once you (quickly) get hang of it. Amazing viz and healthy reefs. Fish seem bigger than most places in carib too.

Our local dive shop has said to use Palancar but we aren't set on a place as of yet. Should we book the dives from the hotel or just take the ferry over to Coz and make our way to the dive shop on the first day we want to go?

I would book ahead of time. Here are my reasons why:
1) Boats fill up. Would suck to make the trip over and not have a space.
2) If you are running 5 minutes late, they might wait on you.
3) You can tell the dive op you are a beginner and they can be prepared for that. For example- the op I'm with has guaranteed me the first day she won't go below 60 feet. That's not the norm in Cozumel where the first dive is usually 80 ft. So she is prepared to select sites appropriate for a true beginner, not just a 'first day on the boat' diver (because you never go to the really advanced sites until the op knows you.)

Also, if you don't go with Palancar, the idea of meeting them at the dive shop might not exist- I know when I was originally planning on diving off a cruise ship, my op had me meet them at the marina, not at some shop. So I assume many ops would have you do that. Or at the downtown pier for pick up. Another reason to book ahead- you'll know where to go to catch the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom