good dry suit undergarment alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do the [thread=174828]eBay fleeces[/thread] count as "true" or "alternative"? They're cheap, and I've found them to work quite well (at least down to 40°F or so, which is as cold as I've found in my diving). I layer off-brand synthetic wicking long johns (from the local sports store) underneath them.

I had a Polartec 300 jacket & 200 pants from backpacking. Combined with polypropylene long underwear, it keeps me comfortable (though I dive 55F water, not as cold as you!). The great thing about it is when I get back on the boat, I can remove the jacket to stay cool.

Fleece will never do it (with a bag suit) because it compresses too much at depth. More layers help but at a certain point you become the Micheline Man/Woman and that's not fun for many reasons especially in the summer when it's hot outside or if you have a tight fitting dry suit.

When it gets really cold I use the bare hi-loft thinsulate (Bare's answer to the DUI 400 thins. and under $200 from LP) and then add 300 gram softwear fleece under that and polypro under that. Even doing this I am really cold below 60 degrees after 30 minutes.

So what next? Dry gloves maybe? The reality is that unless one swims hard, when the water is REALLY cold, eventually you will get cold too. No way around it after 20 minutes or less. It's cold water diving and anyone who says they are "toasty warm" in 40 degree water is either lying/dry suit boasting or they are a polar bear. "Toasty warm" is what one feels while sitting next to a bonfire, lol.

So my answer is...it doesn't matter what you use. You are gonna get cold but using material that doesn't compress at depth does help a bit.

All that said, I am a very SLOW and POKEY diver so that doesn't help with my warmth. Also for the record I am a medium build guy...5ft 9inches and 170 pounds. I lost almost 60 pounds over three years ago and I have been freezing ever since while cold water diving.

scubadobadoo:
Fleece will never do it (with a bag suit) because it compresses too much at depth. More layers help but at a certain point you become the Micheline Man/Woman and that's not fun for many reasons especially in the summer when it's hot outside or if you have a tight fitting dry suit.

I'm doing long, low-activity dives and I don't like being cold at all, so "toasty warm" is exactly what I wanted and what I got with my fleece layers. Not at all hard to do, even for long, coldwater dives such as 90 minutes in temps in the low 40's.

I get the same "toasty warm" in water down to the mid-30's when I switch to Weezle Extreme Plus. It can be done. I did get a little chilled after 1 hour and 50 minutes in 32-degree saltwater once, though. :D

You're right that a tight suit will limit how many layers of fleece can be used. Excessively tight can be counterproductive. Luckily, my suit is roomy enough for my thickest combinations.

As to overheating during the suiting up, that can be reduced greatly with a few simple measures, too.

scubadobadoo:
So what next? Dry gloves maybe? The reality is that unless one swims hard, when the water is REALLY cold, eventually you will get cold too. No way around it after 20 minutes or less. It's cold water diving and anyone who says they are "toasty warm" in 40 degree water is either lying/dry suit boasting or they are a polar bear. "Toasty warm" is what one feels while sitting next to a bonfire, lol.

I definitely tend to get cold more easily than most people, I think, because I'm older, more sedentary and I'm doing low-activity dives. That's why I experimented until I got this "toasty warm", "in my living room", kind of warmth.

Hate to quote myself, but the details of what I use are here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=12

I think it makes a big difference to effectively insulate all areas of the body because your core heat will be slowly drained by even one cold area.

That means an ice cap underhood makes a difference. It means that the second dryglove liner helps. A loose-fitting dryglove will help. The fleece chest pad helps a great deal.

If I omit any of those items, it becomes apparent by the end of the dive.

Avoiding sweating when suiting up or during the dive can make all the difference, too.

Using extra lead and more air in the suit and using the suit for buoyancy control is warmer for me than going with squeeze and using the bcd for buoyancy control.

Avoiding constiction is important, especially at body joints. Not gripping the flag line too hard or too long with the same hand can help.

scubadobadoo:
So my answer is...it doesn't matter what you use. You are gonna get cold but using material that doesn't compress at depth does help a bit.

I'd like to try Thinsulate sometime because they say it's less compressible, but in the meantime, my extra layers of fleece create enough loft even when compressed.

scubadobadoo:
All that said, I am a very SLOW and POKEY diver so that doesn't help with my warmth. Also for the record I am a medium build guy...5ft 9inches and 170 pounds. I lost almost 60 pounds over three years ago and I have been freezing ever since while cold water diving.

If I were going any slower, I'd end up with barnacles or perhaps getting towed by a rescue diver! :)

But, you do have a point about your smaller amount of natural insulation.... I'm the same height, but have an extra 20 lbs. It's not muscle either.... hey, maybe I can call that blubber a dive accessory! :wink:

Anyway, layers of fleece can be definitely be "toasty warm" in the right combination. I wouldn't dive in cold water if it weren't!

Dave C

ok, i do have dry gloves, and a good hood....
i just need something cheap until next spring when i will have saved up for a real set....I do need something for the remainder of the summer/fall and possibly some ice dives this winter. I dont get cold that easy, as long as im dry, I am comfortable in a medium shirt at 32 degrees outside.

I have a DUI (military cut and supplied) drysuit undergarment. Should meet your requirements. If interested, PM me.
If needed, any Pics will have to wait unitl weekend.

I dive in waters that are high thirties to the mid forties and suffer greatly. As an alternative under garment I was thinking a thin wet suit. I have a very old shortie that is loose fitting, so I tried it on with cotton shirt and shorts underneath and it was a comfortable fit. Has anyone tried this or what is your take on this? I won't be diving for awhile so I thought I'd throw it out here to see what you think.

I don't think that the wetsuit undergarment would work. Neoprene is made to trap water to keep you warm (when used as a wetsuit). Drysuit undergarments are designed to trap air among the fabric fibers to keep you warm.

Can't hurt to try, though. If it doesn't work, you can just abort the dive.

David

dave4868:
I'm doing long, low-activity dives and I don't like being cold at all, so "toasty warm" is exactly what I wanted and what I got with my fleece layers. Not at all hard to do, even for long, coldwater dives such as 90 minutes in temps in the low 40's.

I get the same "toasty warm" in water down to the mid-30's when I switch to Weezle Extreme Plus. It can be done. I did get a little chilled after 1 hour and 50 minutes in 32-degree saltwater once, though. :D

Dave C

Thanks Dave, but could you repost what you use as your link turns up empty. I too am one who can't stay warm enough mostly because I just don't move around that much. I also think that the poly underwear might not work so great in at drysuit if you aren't generating enough heat to make the fabric work like it's supposed to work. I have a weezle extreme and have even tried Smartwool. Still looking for that magic material or combination. Fortunately the weather is warm for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom