good dry suit undergarment alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbb:
Thanks Dave, but could you repost what you use as your link turns up empty. I too am one who can't stay warm enough mostly because I just don't move around that much. I also think that the poly underwear might not work so great in at drysuit if you aren't generating enough heat to make the fabric work like it's supposed to work. I have a weezle extreme and have even tried Smartwool. Still looking for that magic material or combination. Fortunately the weather is warm for now.

Polypropylene and fleece compress pretty easily, but it's still possible to create good loft and insulating quality.

Check out my self-quote below regarding what I use in cold water. The quote is humbly submitted as a personal experience, not as expert advice for everyone.

Not sure why the individual post link isn't working for you, as it works fine for me.

Here's the link to the original thread which had also had some useful suggestions from other divers. Maybe that will work for you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2603629#post2603629

If it doesn't work, my post is pasted below, for what it's worth.

Dave C

dave4868:
Thanks again for the nice welcome from everyone!

Rick, I'm always glad to share some cold water insulation tips because I was amazed by the improvement in comfort and dexterity I experienced. Let me know what works for you, too. You probably do most of what I do, but for what it's worth....

Essentially, what I do for really cold water, such as in the 30's, is to increase the layers of insulation in my drysuit and drygloves to increase the air and loft, but being careful to avoid constriction or tight areas.

In addition, an "ice cap" underhood makes a huge difference in reducing heat loss.

Plus, the use of a homemade "fleece chest pad" turned out to be quite important. Without it, the material on the chest would be compressed, especially when I was horizontal, and I would feel the cold slowly sapping my core heat there.

My experience was similar to yours, I think, that an hour would be about my limit because of hand and foot discomfort, but more importantly, because of the significant loss of dexterity, which can be a real hazard since I mostly dive solo. I didn't like coming close to the point of not being able to manipulate my drysuit inflator, etc.

The key for me was having a drysuit large enough to accomodate more layers of insulation, then using enough lead to get slightly beyond the minimum needed with an empty tank. That extra air improves loft of the materials besides being the prime insulator.

The other factor was choosing insulation that wouldn't create tight areas which might constrict blood flow to the extremities. Polartec and polypropylene worked well, since they will bend and crush pretty easily where needed.

Specifically, here's what I do.

For temps above 40 F, I usually mix and match layers of Polartec and polypropylene outdoor wear. (Purchased from Cabela's.) (The figures below are for gm/yd weights).

Example for above 40 F:

Polypropylene and Polartec layers on both legs and torso of 100 + 300, respectively.

PLUS a fleece chest pad, created by folding the sheet of fleece twice to make 4 layers, with a final size of about 12x18". This would be approximately equivalent to 400 wt. fleece when folded. This is justfleece blanket material from WalMart or elsewhere.

Two layers of heavy socks (mine happen to be a thick wool sock and a Weezle sock). Rockboots laced as loosely as possible. I'll raise my feet at the beginning of a dive to get more air into the feet. I'll replace that air as needed, but it stays as long as I fin in my usual bent-knee position.

I've also used Polartec socks, but they weren't quite as warm because they crush and breathe too easily, I think.

SI TECH ring system with PVC drygloves, one size oversize. I wear two sets of liners, a lightweight polypropylene set under the heavier original set. I buy sizes loose enough to avoid constriction of blood flow in my fingers.

Henderson 1/8" neoprene "ice cap" hood worn under my DUI hood.

I sometimes will add a couple 1/8" neoprene neck bands that I fashioned out of 2" wide strips. They help keep the cold water off the major arteries in front of my neck.

Lead (or other weight), for me in this set up with a single HP steel 120 and attached AL30 pony, will be around 44 to 47 lbs. It's not so much that would cause massive air shifting, but enough to create a half inch layer above my kidneys and shoulders when horizontal. This is about 5 lbs more than the minimum I would need. When I've used close to the minimum, I've been noticeably colder.

Anyway, for colder water I change things a bit.

Example for water temps in the 30's:

I had the good fortune of picking up, for a song, a brand-new Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment a few years ago. It's a little warmer per volume than the Polartec. It's actually too warm above 40 F. I'd guess it's probably right up there with the 400 weight Thinsulate undergarments.

I use the Weezle because it's a little warmer than the layered Polartec, even with a third layer of 200. It's also easier to put on then all those layers of Polartec and less likely to cause constriction points in the armpits and backs of knees.

With the Weezle, the first layer is 100 wt polypropylene, then the fleece chest pad, then the Weezle Extreme Plus.

Socks are the same.

Gloves are the same, although I've found it necessary for temps in the low 30's to go with an even larger glove and use two of the heavier yellow liners. The dexterity is still better than with 1/4" neoprene mitts. I can work all of my tiny little camera housing buttons. That has actually been effective for 110 minutes in 32 F saltwater once. For dives like that, although rare, I might add a fleece pad over my kidneys somehow.

I increase my lead to about 52 lbs with the Weezle setup.

By the way, I like the SI TECH gloves because extra PVC gloves can be purchased inexpensively at places like Seattle Marine for around $20. For use under the original yellow liners, lightweight white polypropylene glove liners are cheap. I purchased a bunch at a fishermen's supply house in Gloucester for $1.12 a pair retail.

I buy sizes that aren't too tight. My goal is to avoid restricting blood flow and my hands stay very warm as a result.

Also, the SI TECH ring system is nice because it's so easy to change the outer gloves and because it's a temporary attachment to the wrist seal. It also allows the wrist seal to remain functional with the system in place.

Anyway, I've gone on too long probably. Obviously, I enjoy talking about this subject.

Let me know what you've done to tweak your thermal protection so I can borrow some of your ideas.

Kindest regards,

Dave C

I only wear woolen underwear, no exception, when going where its cold, including diving. Woolen long-sleeved shirt and leggings, thin+thick woolen socks and if the water drops into the low 40s (man im starting to use fahrenheit here, not good) I put on a not too baggy wool/cotton sweater...
Keeps me warm when its dry, and should I be unfortunate enough to get a little water into my suit, wool still keep you warm.
Ive used fleece ONCE when I borrowed a drysuit (actually 3 dives, but one day) and I dont find it to be less comfortable than wool too, but that probably depend on what woolen underwear you have vs what fleece underwear you use..

Tigerman:
I only wear woolen underwear, no exception, when going where its cold, including diving. Woolen long-sleeved shirt and leggings, thin+thick woolen socks and if the water drops into the low 40s (man im starting to use fahrenheit here, not good) I put on a not too baggy wool/cotton sweater...
Keeps me warm when its dry, and should I be unfortunate enough to get a little water into my suit, wool still keep you warm.
Ive used fleece ONCE when I borrowed a drysuit (actually 3 dives, but one day) and I dont find it to be less comfortable than wool too, but that probably depend on what woolen underwear you have vs what fleece underwear you use..

Wool's excellent, I agree. I think it resists compression better than fleece and, as you said, it's still pretty warm when wet, much more than wet fleece.

A thick wool sock really seems to be the warmest material I've tried on my feet, although I haven't used Thinsulate yet. The wool certainly retains good loft.

Do you use loosely knit wool fabrics to get decent flexibility and stretchability, like fleece? The wool shirt sounds like it might bind pretty easily.

I'll give wool garments a try sometime. Might save me some excess layers and lead weight.

Dave C

The underwear is faitly loosely knit, but not very "fluffy"..
The sweater I use ontop when its colder is, I think a wool/cotton mix thats not very fluffy at all, just warm.. Can check the it a bit better when I get home in a few hours since ill be packing down some of my gear for my trip to Cancun next week anyways.. Hey, I might even be able to provide a picture :p

Tigerman:
As its said, so shall be done..
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=2566
The tag on the sweater doesnt really say anything usefull about what material its made of afterall, only the model number (part the gear I got to keep from the army)..

Interesting stuff. Not what I pictured. Thanks.

Dave C

i use helly hansen one piece underwear, with thinsulate long johns and shirt underneath. and wool liners for my dry gloves [marigolds, cheap but effective]

Re: drysuit undergarments---Most of the divers here (Monterey/Carmel, CA, water temps 40F-50F) swear by DUI's 400g Thinsulate. I bought one and don't like it. There's a tendency to get "shrink wrapped" unless you add a lot of air/argon to the suit. I get so shrinked that I can't reach my inflator. I've doubled my lead to 20# on the belt (plus steel BP and steel 85) to compensate for all the added air, and my buoyancy still gets wonky. I'm a medium frame woman, weight 130#.

Has anyone else had this problem? I may need to go back to fleece, but it is so damned cold!

BTW, we have a local vendor who makes custom 12 mm hoods. Otter Bay Wet Suits (otterbay.com). They really make a difference.
Best,
Barbara

Re: drysuit undergarments---Most of the divers here (Monterey/Carmel, CA, water temps 40F-50F) swear by DUI's 400g Thinsulate. I bought one and don't like it. There's a tendency to get "shrink wrapped" unless you add a lot of air/argon to the suit. I get so shrinked that I can't reach my inflator. I've doubled my lead to 20# on the belt (plus steel BP and steel 85) to compensate for all the added air, and my buoyancy still gets wonky. I'm a medium frame woman, weight 130#.

Has anyone else had this problem? I may need to go back to fleece, but it is so damned cold!

BTW, we have a local vendor who makes custom 12 mm hoods. Otter Bay Wet Suits (otterbay.com). They really make a difference.
Best,
Barbara

I've had the same experience when I've used less air in the suit and more squeeze. Like you, I found it colder and the suit less flexible.

Instead, I now use a lot of air in the suit (extra weight) and use only the suit for buoyancy control. Despite those factors, I don't find controlling the buoyancy a problem, but I suppose it could be under certain circumstances.

What do you mean your buoyancy "still gets wonky"?

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom