Good options on lightweight "full featured" cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hutchel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So to be clear I dive with my Nikon D80, dual strobes, focus light, both fish-eye and 60 mm Macro when I am serious about taking pictures. I know the D80 is pretty old, but other than sunbursts, it does an excellent job for what I want to do most of the time. My portfolio is online at www.redfishunderwaterphotography.com if you want to take a look. So what I am looking for is something I can take when I don't want to drag along the extra 2-3 bags it takes to lug my normal kit around. I'd like something that doesn't have the shutter lag point-n-clicks are notorious for, will shoot manual (or at least Aperture Priority), and stores images in a RAW format. I have the full suite of adobe products so I really don't care which version of RAW it is. I am not necessarily looking for an external flash capability, although I have the big Ikelite strobes already if I thought I wanted to use one, just would need a different cable set to take the optical input vs TTL in all likelihood. I know there are several point and clicks out there that do support RAW and manual, in fact it looks like each of the major manufacturers have an entry. Just looking for some feedback.

You'll get lag with the compacts to varying degrees, but Sony, Panasonic and Canon all have RAW-shooting compacts. The Sony NEX cams have almost no lag, but they're bigger, and you'll have to deal with ports and lenses, and the additional cost they will run.

All of the mirrorless cams I've researched seem to have a lack of good glass for macro photography, While the latest Panasonic and Canon compacts excel at close-in focusing. The compacts with longer zooms don't take well for wide angle shooting, but Inon just released an adjustable wide angle wet lens that may have solved the problem.

At this time the camera that fit this bill are Sony RX100, Canon S110 and Panasonic LX7
Sony best for wide angle it does have slow strobe recycle time
Canon S110 good all around no major lag decent focus lowest image quality of the 3 worst video mode
Panasonic LX7 best macro and best video less options for wide angle no or little lag
The LX7 does take a wired strobe with the ikelite housing if you really wanted
Of the 3 the RX100 and S110 still fit in a pocket the LX7 is a bit larger

A lot depends on what is in the three bags you take now. I take a backpack with an OMD, nauticam housing 2 ports, two lenses, 2 S2000 strobes and some ULCS bits that let me put it all together. Weighs about 17 pounds and has much much better IQ than the smaller sensor P&S guys. That being said, if there were an OK macro lens for the Sony NEX that is where I would go but there isn't yet.
Bill

There is a deal from Olympus going on right now, you get the E-PM1 with 14-42 plus underwater housing for less than $500. Sure beats any p&s, I just ordered mine.

There is a deal from Olympus going on right now, you get the E-PM1 with 14-42 plus underwater housing for less than $500. Sure beats any p&s, I just ordered mine.

The olympus cameras that you find on offer all have only 1080i movie mode and are only 12 megapixels they are now superseeded not only by newer compact system cameras but also by normal compacts

If you go on Dpreview and do a side to side comparison of the E-PM1 to a Panasonic compact LX7 or a Sony RX100 you see that the E-PM1 does not come out as winner to any of those two

Thanx for the feedback. To be clear the 3 bags include my normal dive gear, laptop and some clothes. Camera rig is one 50 lb bag by itself with chargers, wire and heavy dense pieces spread arround in other bags. Carry on can be almost 40 lbs at times.

Going to take advice and now focus my research.

There are a lot of great options, many mentioned above. Of course the main thing with the PM1 is price; $499 for camera, lens and housing!!! Can't even buy any of the other cameras alone mentioned for that. Below are a couple of popular options. The only issue with your Ike strobe is you will have to get the Ike Optical Converter.

Housings :: Mirrorless Housings :: Olympus Housings :: Olympus E-PM1 Camera + Housing + Gear Bundle -
System Packages :: Mirrorless Systems :: Optical Ocean Olympus/Sea & Sea PT-EP06 (E-PM1) Special Package -

Here you can use your Ike strobe
Manufacturer :: Ikelite :: Housings :: Digital Compact :: Ikelite Canon G15 Housing & Strobe Value Package -
Manufacturer :: Ikelite :: Housings :: Digital Compact :: Ikelite Sony RX100 Housing & Strobe Value Package -

Of course if the budget allows there are excellent Nauticam housings for most of these cameras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom