Good regulator for a newbie...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should get an authorized dealer.

Brands I would recommend:

-Oceanic
-Apeks
-Scubapro
-Aqualung

I dont like the policies with Aqualung ( immunizing myself against possible attacks)
but Phil at Divesports.com is selling his Aqualung and Apeks stuff. You can get good prices. If I were you Id go with Oceanic. They dont have the crazy "minimum sell prices" so youll get a good reg for less and with warranty.

I bought a Apeks reg at divesports.com and Im quite happy with it.

But it looks like you dont want to spend much now for this
id recommend this
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=OceanicZeta

the Oceanic Zeta its on sale at Scubatoys.com and its a nice little reg.
Id buy that if I had money to spend (its not expensive)

BigWhiteSquare:
I wouldn't feel comfortable buying any Dacor reg now. Since Mares bought Dacor, the Dacor regs are looking more and more like an endangered species.

This is certainly the case here in my market. We just had our local diving Expo and Mares distributors are selling all Dacor regs for 40% discount AND with no guarantee that there will even be parts for future services. I will certainly avoid using a Dacor reg..............at least that's the case in Thailand.

I am happy with my Aqualung Titan LX and ScubaPro MK16+G250HP setup. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend Aqualung and ScubaPro regs to anyone. Heard alot of good things about APEKS but haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Had just ordered DS4s for my doubles setup and am looking forward to breath them underwater soon!!!

I agree with the recommendations for the Titan LX. Wifey and I have been using them for quite awhile, and never found reason to complain. Be sure you get it from an authorized dealer, and don't forget to have it serviced yearly.(This keeps the free parts for life deal active.) Don't get caught with those titanium bodied, overpriced jobs unless you do a LOT of diving, and then the tiny areas of difference might start to matter to you.

I have a Dive Rite RG2500Ice and love it. Not as expensive as the Apeks and it will serve you well no matter what kind of diving you decide to get into. I bought mine after trying one a tech-diver buddy has. I bought one from his shop and then bought another one from Phil Ellis at Divesports.com when he offered a price I couldn't refuse :D Nice thing about that reg is the service interval, you can have it serviced every 2 years instead of annually due to the vyton o-rings (see owners manual for details).
Ber :lilbunny:

dacor is on the way out... stick with something that a lot of dive shops carry (and can service)... think aqua lung and scuba pro offer quality on the cheap. where are you gonna be doin the most of your divin?

epikbob:
I take my open water cert this coming weekend. I was thinking about showing up with my own regulator/octo so as to avoid the smokers regulator from the rental place. After some advice i think i've settled on this regulator: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1159/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/DCRVTR.html Its the Dacor vipet tec. I talked to a few local diveshops and they seem to want me to forget about it, and buy on of their 600$ regulators... Will the dacor to me well for a veriety of dives even deeper ones? Or am i setting myself up for a early upgrade?

Thanks for the opinions!

Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on a regulator. This is LIFE SUPPORT equipment! Buy the best that you can afford and as long as you service it and keep it in good condition, it will last you many years and will serve you faithfully! And most importantly will keep you ALIVE!

By the way, I would not buy the Dacor... I've never tried one, but from what I've been told and from what I have read, it is not the kind of equipment that you'd want to have.

You can get yourself a good Mares or Oceanic reg for a pretty good price, but if $$$ is not a problem, then go for the top end stuff from Apeks, ScubaPro, Oceanic, Mares, or Atomic. I personally use an Oceanic Delta 4/FDX10 and absolutely love it.

Id say Mares instead of all the apeks and stuff. True.

You want a good reg. Not too high priced. For your conditions

Take a Mares they make great regs, got a huge coverage and you can have them cheap at www.scubatoys.com

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RegPackage1

this package is about the same as the dacor one.

So here if your diving conditions are ok, mild, and your budget is low.
People may say GET THE BEST! I say yes but dont buy a ferrari if you wont push it over the limits.

If your budget is tight.

Id say go with these choices.

-Aqualung or Apeks on sale at divesports.com
-Oceanic kit (scubatoys or divesports)
-Mares Kit (scubatoys or discount divers florida)
-Dive-Rite RG2500 at divesports.com

I'm with the other guys here suggesting scubatoys. My favorite online shop for gear. Their service is second to none...they will gladly answer questions over the phone, echange stuff, etc.
They carry a great selection of regulators to fit any budget. Their price for the Mares V16/ProtonXL package is pretty good (I use a Proton XL 2nd and MR12 1st...2 years diving with no problems). As for Dacor...I have a Viper Octo and like the relatively low profile and uni-directional design.

Back
Top Bottom