Good regulator for a relatively new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm recently certified as well and I bought the Aqualung Titan. Dove it for the first time last week and loved it.

It came with the same ABS Octo you mentioned, it is a good "bang for your buck" reg/octo set. Been around for awhile, easy to find someone to service it, and has a repytation for reliability.

YMMV

Thanks for the replies. I have another question. I need to buy the whole regulator/gauge/computer/octopus system. Tell me if this combination sounds ok for someone in my situation. I understand it surpasses my previously stated $350 limit but that's ok.

Aqualung Titan LX regulator
Aqualung ABS octopus
Suunto Gekko 2 gauge computer console

Is that the cheap "compact" octo that's a side exhaust? I wouldn't get it if it is. Maybe get another titan 2nd for an octo. I'd be cautious about getting a computer console; many divers prefer having the computer on their wrist. The gekko also comes in a wrist boot. Then you can just get a SPG on a 24" hose which you can cleanly clip off to a D ring somewhere on the left side of your BC; they all have at least one D ring on the left. You're going to soon find out that you refer to the computer constantly to check depth/time, but you'll only need to check air supply occasionally.

There is one caveat, though. If you're a brand new diver, you might feel more comfortable having depth/time and air info all in one place, and it might be a good thing for you to check your air frequently. So, maybe find out if the gekko in the console you buy can be removed and put into a wrist boot; many computer modules can. In that case, you might buy it, dive it for a season or so until you get confident about your air consumption and sick of picking up the console every time you want to know how deep you are.

For starters, that's a pretty good start-up. The ABS on the other hand I would replace it with something else, but if this is a package set why not. Later on you can change to something else. The Gekko in the console isn't a bad idea. Yeah, maybe for someone like me I would prefer it on a wrist, but again if this a package set why not.

Thanks for the replies. I have another question. I need to buy the whole regulator/gauge/computer/octopus system. Tell me if this combination sounds ok for someone in my situation. I understand it surpasses my previously stated $350 limit but that's ok.

Aqualung Titan LX regulator
Aqualung ABS octopus
Suunto Gekko 2 gauge computer console

Why buy the ABS and then replace it? For about the same price, you can get the the Calypso-Titan Octo, which is a very good octopus. I suspect that most shops would gladly make the substitution in order to close a sale.

If you're a brand new diver, you might feel more comfortable having depth/time and air info all in one place, and it might be a good thing for you to check your air frequently. So, maybe find out if the gekko in the console you buy can be removed and put into a wrist boot; many computer modules can. In that case, you might buy it, dive it for a season or so until you get confident about your air consumption and sick of picking up the console every time you want to know how deep you are.

As a brand new diver, I know that I check my console more for air consumption than depth/time. I'm sure I'll get a wrist computer in a couple years, but for now, I'm happy with my Atmos ai.

Hello. I need some advice for a good regulator for me. I got certified in May and I have about 15 dives logged. What would be a good regulator for under $350? I know this sounds a little broad but if you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I have to second the motion to go see Joe and Larry at Scuba Toys in the Big D

I emailed Scuba Toys to see if they had the items I want in stock. I also asked if they would match Leisure Pro's price on those items. I have decided to go with the Suunto Gekko wrist style computer. Because of this I will need to buy an SPG. Can someone recommend a general, good, cheap SPG for me?

You mean high quality yet inexpensive SPG. Last time I heard someone ask for cheap SPG, they got a whoopin.

XS Scuba brass and glass - 2.5" Get a hose, and if you want it get a boot.

nice, solid, big enough to read easily

Back
Top Bottom