GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merxlin, which failure are you speaking of in your post? I assume you are talking about the sea life camera, and not the BlurFix?

Merxlin, which failure are you speaking of in your post? I assume you are talking about the sea life camera, and not the BlurFix?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to the add on filters, not your lens. According to your brochure, you had two 55mm filters that "failed" at depth. My assumption was that the air space behind the filter but in front of your lens caused the filters to crack or distort. I'm not sure how else a filter could fail. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You could change the internal lens to a flat lens on to achieve this outcome, but this setup gets a huge wide angle that's primarily why I bought it. The idea is to be able to shoot from land into the water, as Marty's video shows scallop diving, going from air to sea with no loss of focus ability.

The next mod that is required for the go pro, is to make the internal lens quickly replaceable from inside the housing so you can get different scale and focal ranges in a sub $500 video camera.

Merxlin, ok now I understand that you were talking about the list of filters we tested, and listed in our instruction manual. I'll give you my take; We are building a list of filters we tested and making it available so if the filter provided in the kit gets damaged our customers have the option of buying a replacement from either us, or from other vendors. Not all filters are made of the same standard and can have minor differences that can cause failure. We have theories of why some work and others do not, but the only thing we can do is test and find out what brands work, and try to keep our customers informed of brands that do not. We aren't saying they are not as good, but just simply do not hold up to the pressures.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to the add on filters, not your lens. According to your brochure, you had two 55mm filters that "failed" at depth. My assumption was that the air space behind the filter but in front of your lens caused the filters to crack or distort. I'm not sure how else a filter could fail. Please correct me if I am wrong.
They don't change the original lens mate..................get one and see, you will be buying a screw on extension off the original lens!!!
Similar to the eye of mine, except it's a black anodized aluminum one that takes screw interchangeable filters, more UR pro setup!
U know you want to!!?!?!?!!!
It would be a perfect camera setup to take overseas, where you can be sure of the security of your stuff thru the airport or in hotels and transporting. Perfect for a big dive boat live aboard situation, where you will want something that can charge off a wall socket mobile phone charger!
Hell a guy with a cannon 5dII owns one!!!!!! WHY NOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrian, we test all of our housings with the o ring dry, never have a problem. If anyone has this issue, wipe the o ring with a tiny bit of water. Silicone grease is just fine for the o ring and threads, but not necessary from what I've seen in all the testing we have done. Lubricating the o ring will help it screw a little bit further, if you look thru the glass you will see a shiny/dark line appear in the center and around the whole diameter of the o ring, it really takes less pressure than one would think. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

I tried it two times before starting to look around for silicone grease :)

First time it took a lot of water inside (maybe 8 mm high inside the cavity when holding the camera vertically). The second time I screwed the filter as hard as I could and got just a tiny drop on the inside of the filter (the desicant balls looked pretty dry before I opened the filter). The fact that the filter is low profile doesn't help you screw it really hard.
Judging from my experience is probably possible to manage to screw it hard enough so you won't have any leaks, without using silicone grease. But after I purchased the grease the instalation was so easy and the air space remained so waterproof that it's not worth the trouble to do trials and errors without it.

Adrian I think you must not have sealed the blurfix properly on first install, I dont need to screw it in very hard at all and I havent had a single drop inside the blurfix yet. Id suggest unscrewing it and then redo the install and silicon. Did you wait 24 hrs for the silicon to to cure before use? If you get any water inside the blurfix then your original silicon seal must not be good.

Last edited:
I use silicone grease religiously with any seal-able electronic devise underwater, it's second nature to me.

Adrian_ thanks for the input, I'm happy to hear you were able to get it all working. And thanks for posting about your experience. Its always good to get feedback on instalation tricks. We would like to see some of your video from this trip!

Will sure do, but probably after getting back home. I have internet access (not bad actually, paid 50 euros for it lol) but don't have time to do video editing, uploads and so on.

Regarding what Marty said, I'm sure the seal was OK to start with. I replaced it after the first failure (the major one) just to find the silicone as hard as it gets. For the second one (the tiny water drop) I only dried the entire thing, replaced the dessicant balls and greased the o-ring with silicone grease. No problem since (knocks on wood).
It looks to me like the small tube that comes with the kit has a very short cure time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom