GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns - MAKO Flat GoPro Housing Lens

This is the least expensive solution I have found for the Go-Pro focus problem.

Thanks for sharing!!! Have you actually tried this lens, and if so, is it different than the one sold by pursuit spearfishing???

Ordered my Gopro from diverightinscuba today, and have one of these Mako underwater lenses on order as well. Hopefully, it will all make it here before my ice diving trip this weekend...

Thanks for sharing!!! Have you actually tried this lens, and if so, is it different than the one sold by pursuit spearfishing???

Ordered my Gopro from diverightinscuba today, and have one of these Mako underwater lenses on order as well. Hopefully, it will all make it here before my ice diving trip this weekend...

I have one on order from Mako and have not tried it out yet. As to comparison to other lense, I honestly don't know if it is different. It costs less than half though.

I do know that people rave about the level of customer service from mako.

We got a new shipment of flat lenses in this week. It has been tough keeping up with demand. At $16.95 we figure it is a "no-brainer".

MAKO Spearguns - Store

Please note that if you buy a Go Pro from us. The flat lens upgrade is free.

Ordered the eyeofmine housing, but it wasn't going to ship until the 26th, I'm going diving on the 27th in Bahamas! SO...after some research I decided to jump in and do it myself.

I cut a 6mm ring out of a 1.5 inch plastic or PVC plumbing/coupling thing and siliconed it to the case, then siliconed a round piece of clear glass to it. (total cost = $25 CND)
If there's any engineer-types that want to check out the photos and see if you can forsee any problems, i'm all ears. basically I've made sure that the glass isn't touching the domed port (i've heard that that would cause condensation). I haven't tampered with the actual housing either, so the wort thing that could happen is that water gets into the air cavity (or the glass implodes:wink:.

Anyways, it was fun and satisfying knowing that I did it myself. here's some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 179
I have the pursuit lens on my gopro and it works great.
Also got the gopro LCD screen, so i can see what im shooting.
It's sweet. definately worth the 80$ or w/e it was.

Also got the telescope pole thing from quikpods and it seems to work pretty good.
Soon as the water warms up, i'll do some testing and i have an idea for some flood lights mounted to the pole.
time will tell.

We got a new shipment of flat lenses in this week. It has been tough keeping up with demand. At $16.95 we figure it is a "no-brainer".

MAKO Spearguns - Store

Please note that if you buy a Go Pro from us. The flat lens upgrade is free.

What's the quality of this lens? The one I bought from Pursuit scratched when I cleaned it with a clean lens cloth to remove my fingerprints, which is extremely disappointing, in both the quality of the material and the lack of response from Pursuit.

I decided to make my own focus fixed underwater housing and this is what I came up with. It is all aluminum with glass lenses and stainless hardware. It is a prototype and I still need to pressure test it but I have shot underwater video and it was crystal clear with no cropping in the corners. It does take an allen wrench and about 15 seconds to take the back off but but the alternative would have been bulkier, heavier and more expensive. I am also planning on making a version out of delrin which will be lighter. I am not sure what the final cost will be but should be about $150. If anyone is interested or has any question please contact me at tedd@nealfeay.com and I will keep you updated on the development.

Attachments

• DSC_1271.JPG
    DSC_1271.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_1261.JPG
    DSC_1261.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 245
What's the quality of this lens? The one I bought from Pursuit scratched when I cleaned it with a clean lens cloth to remove my fingerprints, which is extremely disappointing, in both the quality of the material and the lack of response from Pursuit.

Dear Jak C:

Thank you for your interest in our products. In all fairness to Pursuit, I am not in a position to comment on the quality of their products. I can only assume that they offer very good products and perhaps it was a rare occurrence that the lens scratched so easily.

Our lenses are made of a material called Makrolon which is a high tech polycarbonate made by Bayer Material Science. Although Makrolon is very scratch resistant, it is possible to scratch it, but it would take much more than a lens cloth to do so.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.
Again, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Dive safe,
dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom