GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ordered the eyeofmine housing, but it wasn't going to ship until the 26th, I'm going diving on the 27th in Bahamas! SO...after some research I decided to jump in and do it myself.

I cut a 6mm ring out of a 1.5 inch plastic or PVC plumbing/coupling thing and siliconed it to the case, then siliconed a round piece of clear glass to it. (total cost = $25 CND)
If there's any engineer-types that want to check out the photos and see if you can forsee any problems, i'm all ears. basically I've made sure that the glass isn't touching the domed port (i've heard that that would cause condensation). I haven't tampered with the actual housing either, so the wort thing that could happen is that water gets into the air cavity (or the glass implodes:wink:.

Anyways, it was fun and satisfying knowing that I did it myself. here's some photos

WORKED REALLY WELL!! Just back from Nassau diving with Stuart Cove's - will post some video soon. I'm not at all against ordering pre-made ones (and tried to twice!) but it's inspiring to know that this is definitely a DIY possibility.

Dear Jak C:

Thank you for your interest in our products. In all fairness to Pursuit, I am not in a position to comment on the quality of their products. I can only assume that they offer very good products and perhaps it was a rare occurrence that the lens scratched so easily.

Our lenses are made of a material called Makrolon which is a high tech polycarbonate made by Bayer Material Science. Although Makrolon is very scratch resistant, it is possible to scratch it, but it would take much more than a lens cloth to do so.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.
Again, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Dive safe,
dano

Let me add to this... I have not tried the pursuit lens either, but I received my Mako lens in the mail a week or so ago.(before my GoPro even came in and I ordered them both the same day with rushed shipping on the GoPro ordered from elsewhere...)

The lens looks incredibly clear and fit very nicely into my wrist housing when I installed it. The business end of the lens came with a nice piece of clear film stuck to it to prevent scratches during shipment or installation.

This looks to me like a winner as long as my housing does not leak when I test it on my next dive. Thanks Dano!!!

Some gopro footage in MAldives with home made flat lens
youtube search for "l'effet goro"
connot put URL because i haven't post 5 times...
have a nice time
Chris

C. Fletcher - AMAZING FOOTAGE!!
What lights were you using? Also, were you using an underwater tripod?

I also did a video from Bahamas last week with a homemade flat lens/GoPro - youtube, search for "Dubstep Diving"

Here is another example of video shot in Galapagos Islands with the Eye of Mine flat lens case. I've ordered the Mako solution and will try it on my dive trip to Cozumel at the end of this month.
YouTube - Galapagos Islands SCUBA Dive Video, Outtakes

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0-j0AWPHLks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Question...usually I have the answers but not sure of this one. If I wanted to use the 60fps setting with the GoPRO, the frame size is smaller at 1280x720. For using this footage for slow motion in a 1920x1080 30fps sequence, is it better to just make the whole sequence 1280x720 or will FC use the 1280x720 footage in a 30fps sequence automatically slower.
Steve

Let me add to this... I have not tried the pursuit lens either, but I received my Mako lens in the mail a week or so ago.(before my GoPro even came in and I ordered them both the same day with rushed shipping on the GoPro ordered from elsewhere...)

The lens looks incredibly clear and fit very nicely into my wrist housing when I installed it. The business end of the lens came with a nice piece of clear film stuck to it to prevent scratches during shipment or installation.

This looks to me like a winner as long as my housing does not leak when I test it on my next dive. Thanks Dano!!!

Have you used the caera with the Mako lens yet.
I'm curious as i want to purchase the same thing but can't find any feedback, except for 1 youtube video with a guy in a pool.

I ordered the Mako port replacement, and I'm over-the-top impressed.

Easy ordering. No shipping cost. Arrived in two days (across the country, yet!). Overall my experience with the company was superb.

The new port just dropped in, a perfect fit. The important parts, the sealing surface and the optical path, were shiny, perfectly flat, no nicks. I was nervous about this because the price, $16.95, was about a third of the Pursuit cost, and an eighth of the Eye of Mine.

Over a couple of dives at r5, the video has been tack sharp. Amazing really. The only issue is you can't shoot 720, because the corners vignette, but in 1080 it is spectacular.

So far, it has 5-6 dives. Depth wise I've only had it to 170' with a 90 minute runtime, hasn't leaked a drop yet.

All the best, James

I just bought the Mako Lens as well. I bought it last Friday. They changed the price to 21.99 on Thursday! Dang! I haven't got it yet but I expect it soon. I hope it works as good as James says! That would be awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom