GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The price went up to $75.00, sorry but the $65.00 was a promotion as we launched the BlurFix, right now we have discounts for bundling it with the URPro filters. Adrian, I'm happy you got it all sorted out, I know that you had asked if it would make it in time for your trip, looks like it did.... Barely! We have had a few customers who went conservative on the silicon. The most important things are to look in from the back of the housing to see that you don't have gaps or bubbles that the water can infiltrate in from one thing that I've noticed if you use enought silicone is that you will get a small amount of silicone that comes into the holes where the screws go, and always, always, always do a test dive Without the camera if you have modified any underwater camera housing!

Hey Blurry, another question regarding Adian's situation. What did he mean by there being no lens included? Is there a lens that I would need to go out and find myself? I'm slightly confused as to what you guys are offering now.

What Adrian was talking about was the fish eye lens that comes with the stock GoPro housing he scratched his and needed to replace it. The BlurFix comes with a clear uv glass filter,the stock fish eye lens and seal remains in the BlurFix, you won't need to purchase anything. The videos Marty posted were shot with the clear filter included in the kit. The BlurFix kit includes everything you need to get you going and we are now selling them installed on the housing if it makes it easier. Take a look at Snake River Prototyping, LLC. and it shows everything you get in the package. If you have questions, please send them in an email to info@snakeriverprototyping.com we will be able to respond quicker and will be able to provide more info than what we can post in the forums. We also have our phone number listed on our web site, feel free to call anytime.

Last edited:
Ah okay, that clears it up.

I'll place an order for a lens here in the next few days. i like the idea of retaining the original seal for a backup.

The real advantage I see to the BlurFix option is the ability to add the filters. I guess I'm on to solution #3- as I already have the Eyeofmine and the Mako drop in lens. In order to add a filter you have to drop the filter media in between the lens and the housing. Works OK with the Mako, but then you have too much red in the shallows or above the water. The Eyeofmine is a pain in the butt to do, since the lens is wider than the opening, you have to sort of scrunch up the filter film to get it in, and it's a real chore to get out. That eliminates easy filter changes for above water or shallow water shots. With this you unscrew the filter and you are all set.

Great video Marty, you should get a discount for this excelent advertising video.

Adrian glad to hear that you ended up getting yours delivered in time, I look forward to seeing the footage you come back with from your trip.

Blurfix have been kind enough to send me a couple of gifts as a thanks for the comparison video I made :D So thanks heaps guys I really appreciate it :D

OK, first conclusions:
1. Had to add some silicone inside the holes fron the top, not just from the bottom, in order to make it waterproof. It pushed a bit outside around the screws, but it sealed them for good.

2. You DEFINITELLY need to apply silicone grease on the filter o-ring. Without it it will take water inside the filter cavity, no matter how hard you screw the filter on the o-ring.
I was lucky because I had a car rented and found a shop called Viking Diving center withing 1 km from my hotel, otherwise I would have been unable to use the camera at all. Perhaps including some silicone grease in the kit would be a wise idea, not sure if it's available in small tubes.

Weird question but if the voids fill with water completely, does it change the focus that much? The W/A lenses for Sealife cameras are wet mount, you just have to "burp" them and make sure all the air is out from between the lens and housing. That would also keep the air space behind the filter from compressing at depth, which i am sure is why some of them failed. Thoughts?

Weird question but if the voids fill with water completely, does it change the focus that much? The W/A lenses for Sealife cameras are wet mount, you just have to "burp" them and make sure all the air is out from between the lens and housing. That would also keep the air space behind the filter from compressing at depth, which i am sure is why some of them failed. Thoughts?

The problem with the gopro is that the original housing has a round lens, this cause the focus issue as its a fixed focus camera. To get it to focus underwater properly it needs to have a flat lens, so if the void filled with water it would be out of focus as the round lens would be an issue again.

Adrian, we test all of our housings with the o ring dry, never have a problem. If anyone has this issue, wipe the o ring with a tiny bit of water. Silicone grease is just fine for the o ring and threads, but not necessary from what I've seen in all the testing we have done. Lubricating the o ring will help it screw a little bit further, if you look thru the glass you will see a shiny/dark line appear in the center and around the whole diameter of the o ring, it really takes less pressure than one would think. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom