Trip Report Grand Cayman: Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers) and Compass Point (Ocean Frontiers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also wouldn't be surprised if the poster's problem was that he asked if he could extend the profile. If you ask, they will almost always say no. But if you just do it, and they can see you under the boat at the end of the dive, I doubt they would say anything.

I'd like to comment on the dive times from someone who works as an ops manager, boat captain, and dive guide in the Caymans. Perhaps it's not always apparent to the customer - "what does 10 extra minutes make?" Often times it creates a domino effect on the rest of the day that isn't seen.

Just last week, we had a couple staying with us, who thought nothing of doing 70 minute dive times, after being briefed that 60 minutes was the maximum allowable time. This 20 minutes that we are now behind can easily turn into 30 or 40 when we get behind in the West Bay dock or fuel queues. This 30 or 40 minutes must come from somewhere - usually the employee forgoes their lunch break.

To be anywhere close to profitable, a dive shop cannot have employees just sitting around - they must be productive. To this end, perhaps there isn't an afternoon boat to go out, but employees time is sold to other customers to teach classes, to conduct guided dives, or perhaps a kids program. In the case of our couple last week, we now have a delayed boat, with 4-5 employees on the boat, or meeting the boat at the dock to re-tank it, who will all get no lunch break and be late for their next customers.

I strive to make my customers as happy as possible. I know where my paychecks come from. We like giving people longer dive times when we can, but many times this isn't possible. If you like to do long dives, then talk to us beforehand. I'll make my briefing short, I'll pick closer dive sites to the dock. Or take advantage of the shore diving. You can do 2 hour dives from shore if your SAC rate allows.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the poster's problem was that he asked if he could extend the profile. If you ask, they will almost always say no. But if you just do it, and they can see you under the boat at the end of the dive, I doubt they would say anything.

Most likely you are 100% correct. None of my co-workers would likely say anything, like we did last week. Most of us try to be kind, and know you are on vacation, and also live in fear of the negative trip advisor review, a gun which people pull out at even the slightest perceived offense.

We may live in paradise, and it may be a dream job. All I'm asking is consider when you are asked to keep the dive to a certain time, it's not because we are just trying to be difficult. Just some insight.

Tienuts, thanks for the insight. Puts an entirely different perspective on the issue.

Thanks Tienuts. I have never done any diving on GC, so the ripple effect is something else would not think of. Diving with Reef Divers on LC, those kinds of things (boat fueling, taking out separate groups, etc) aren't really an issue for them. But I will say that if I ever extended a profile and had a DM approach me politely after the dive and ask me to shorten it up, while giving a reasonable explanation for why, I would never go to tripadvisor or anywhere else to complain. I understand your fear, but you have legit reasons to schedule the way you do...so don't be afraid to explain that politely, and I think most divers would understand. The general perception of most folks who would complain is that the DMs just want to get back and hit the bar sooner...having it explained would go a long way towards changing that perception.

So, we stayed at Compass Point, and dove with Reef Divers. The package we had included food, which was pretty good for an all-inclusive. Dive staff was very friendly and professional, but they did limit our dive times - despite gently asking to extend them several times (Don't you hate having to walk on eggshells around someone you're paying to cater to you?) - typically, 60Min for the first and 50Min for the second. For that reason, we wouldn't go back, we are in Cozumel now and diving 65-80 mins each time (typical 80cuft tanks). The culture of Mexico is so much less rigid and rule oriented, and even though I appreciate a well run operation, I'm on vacation and don't want to "wrap up" the dives in time to make it back for a 12:00 lunch... Don't know why, but this seems to bother me a lot more than others; I just need air, weighs, and a boat ride - no hand-holding and no schedules...

Very nice shore dive at Cobalt Coast though, highly recommend that! If we go back to Cayman we will most likely stay somewhere inexpensive, rent a car, and just do shore dives around the island.

Sorry, meant Cobalt Coast not Compass Point. Must'a been tired after diving all day in Cozumel when I wrote this ;-D It was the total difference in diving there which reminded me to come back to this thread and report on our stay at Cobalt Coast/Reef Divers. Wish I had gone when it was DiveTech. It's not that those guys aren't friendly or professional, just too rigid for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom