Great Barrier December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be going to Australia late this December( around Xmas weekend ). I plan to stay 2 days in Sydney( no diving ) and then proceed to Gold coast ( about 1 day, no diving ) and my last stop would be in Cairns.

As I am taking 5 days here, I would like to go to the GBR. Any recommendations as to which boat to take? What are the sites that are "must-dives" ? I know that December is summer, but is there a possibility to avoid the "cattle herd" dive crowd?

On a side note, when I was in Guam, MDA took me to the "off the beaten path" dive sites. Tourists don't go there often, locals love it as it is a refreshing view from the usual top sites. It was a nice site.

Do I need to do a liveaboard, or just day trips? If so, which operators do I trust my
vacation on?

Thanks in advance everyone. Dive safe!

i have done liveaboards on the atlantic clipper - i heard its been sold now
pro dive to miln & flynn reefs (3 days 2 nights)
and on taka to cod hole & the coral sea (4 days, 4 nights)

and really enjoyed all of them.

i did not enjoy the day trips for diving as they are so rushed. remember that it takes 2 hours to get from Cairns or Port douglas to the outer reefs and 2 hours to get back. Tusa dive is a good option for day trips if you want to avoid hordes of snorkelers

Back
Top Bottom