GUE class question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you want to learn the skills that will make diving much more fun. So why have gear that will make it so much harder to learn them. My own experence in GUE-F was my steel 100's (not long enough for my body type) were fighting me and making it very hard to get into trim. The instructor for three days said you should try al80's. I thought he was crazy but once I gave in and tryed them it was like night and day. Steels are long gone and replaced by a few set of 80's. My point is why make things harder then they need to be. Get with the instructor and ask questions about what changes you need to make. Rent the gear if you can't buy it all at once or spend a year diving and getting gear then take the class. I'm a big fan of simple and this concept fits me well. :D

Sounds like you want to learn the skills that will make diving much more fun. So why have gear that will make it so much harder to learn them. My own experence in GUE-F was my steel 100's (not long enough for my body type) were fighting me and making it very hard to get into trim. The instructor for three days said you should try al80's. I thought he was crazy but once I gave in and tryed them it was like night and day. Steels are long gone and replaced by a few set of 80's. My point is why make things harder then they need to be. Get with the instructor and ask questions about what changes you need to make. Rent the gear if you can't buy it all at once or spend a year diving and getting gear then take the class. I'm a big fan of simple and this concept fits me well. :D

Bob Sherwood is on the west coast now so maybe you could buy him a coffee and pick his brain. Call him!

GUE Instructor résumé | Global Underwater Explorers

Primer's designed as a try-out. Just try it out, and see :)

do primer and then decide :) you will have MUCH more data to base decisions on after the workshop... and some parts can be applied to ALL diving no matter the gear configuration...

I second Laura's comment. Diving is diving, and buoyancy, trim and propulsion are skills common to all divers. This is what you will work on during the Primer.

Good luck,

Best,

Guy Shockey
GUE Instructor

I totally agree. You basically said the same thing as I. How many dives did she accomplish with mentors? Mentors is the key to gaining a tech pass as you know although it is not discussed much at all on-line...
They're not talking about fundies

I totally agree. You basically said the same thing as I. How many dives did she accomplish with mentors? Mentors is the key to gaining a tech pass as you know although it is not discussed much at all on-line...

this is a true story

my two cents. your on the right track, do the primer, if you like it, move onto fundies. one step at a time. GUE gets a lot of "feedback" you make up your mind if its right for you and what you see as your future as a diver.

Unless your a zillionare or want to be selling your stuff online, I would rent for the class, let your teacher fit it to you properly ( that is very underrated , having a wing and harness that fits your body) and take it from there.

As for mentors, without the MAYOR and my other friends, I would never have made the progress i needed to even with my classes, so if possible, make lots of GUE friends. Most, not all are very open to helping anyone who wants to learn/

let us know how it goes

ww

it costs 600 now. try and keep up. it can be hard with the prices going up as fast as they do :wink:

Mine was more then that but still worth every cent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom