GUE class question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input.

As a few have said this change will not be cheap, but worth it. So that is also in the consideration with keeping my current setup. The primer class is looking to be around $450 ($350 class + at lest $40 for bp/w rental + instructor expenses? + long hose + ??). And to put another $500-$1,000 for a bp/w setup is not going to work at the moment.

I am definately looking forward to the demo day this Sunday to get a little time on some equipment to help me get a better feel for what I am geting into.

Play with the bp/w in the pool this weekend. See how you like it. I know it's just a pool, but it will at least give you an idea of how it fits and how it feels similarly/different from what you're currently diving. That'll give you a better idea of where you want to go from there. Maybe you'll hate it and won't want to pursue further training....maybe you'll love it and want to sign up for the next class.

Like Rainer mentioned, if you do want to buy a bp/w, Tobin is local and sells great gear (I am a huge fan of his singles set-up!). Lots of people like the Ranger, so you could probably flip that and get the plate and wing for pretty close to half the price.

FWIW, new hoses are cheap, so I wouldn't worry about adding that into your calculations for how much the class will cost.

Yep that was me. I was tempeted to ask your opinion on my diving, but I did not want to bug you too much. I did enjoy the dive though.

One last thing....don't ever hesitate to ask us for feedback! I do it all the time....I also ask questions all the time. Rainer and Blackwood are probably sick of me, but if they keep responding, I'll keep asking :wink:

One last thing....don't ever hesitate to ask us for feedback! I do it all the time....I also ask questions all the time. Rainer and Blackwood are probably sick of me, but if they keep responding, I'll keep asking :wink:

Learning is a two way street.

Rainer and I have generated pages upon pages of text debriefing dives, and continue to do so even we've been diving together for a couple years.

It's always worth asking.

That's one thing I really like about DIR. This isn't a slight against 'non-DIR', but in my personal experience, those who are drawn to DIR tend to be more engaged in the entire process and thinking about/discussing diving than others. It works well for me.

Just an update to the thread.

After going to the demo day and bugging Steve with some questions we decided the Fundamentals class would be the way to go for now. So I signed up for my 1st cup of kool-aid and we will see how it goes. Now the hard part is waiting for the class and the fun of getting my gear ready for class.

This should be interesting.....

Good deal! Pass or fail, you will learn much about diving. Fundies was the first class I took where there was some "meat" to it.

After going to the demo day and bugging Steve with some questions we decided the Fundamentals class would be the way to go for now. So I signed up for my 1st cup of kool-aid and we will see how it goes. Now the hard part is waiting for the class and the fun of getting my gear ready for class.

Great news! I knew I would benefit from fundies but I don't think I really knew how much until it was over. For the life of me I can't manage to find one down side to taking the class.

I also really like the dynamic now of primer and fundies. Regardless of what you choose they are going to be great classes. Looking back, I wonder if fundies would have been a bit easier for me had I gotten a chance to work on my propulsion first, practice that a bit, then take fundies. The value of fundies is incredible. The amount of time and material Steve covered with us made the class worth well more than the $600. It may be hard to see now but after the class I think you'll appreciate it.

What dates is your class?

That's excellent news ;-). I think you’ll love the class!

Can’t tell you how many times during my GUE-F class I thought – “Why didn’t they teach me this in my first OW class? It would have made diving so much easier!”

I'm excited for you :)! Good luck!!

What dates is your class?

I decided on the class at the end of December with Bob and Steve. I figured two instructors for the price of one has to be a good deal.

I decided on the class at the end of December with Bob and Steve. I figured two instructors for the price of one has to be a good deal.

My wife is taking that class and I'm pulling to do the video for it. It should be fun!

That's excellent news ;-). I think you’ll love the class!

Can’t tell you how many times during my GUE-F class I thought – “Why didn’t they teach me this in my first OW class? It would have made diving so much easier!”

I'm excited for you :)! Good luck!!

How did you manage that?? Most of the time in my Fundies class, I was just trying to absorb the information and not look like a fool :wink:. I bow down to you, Kathy!

After the class, though, I know what you're saying :wink:.

Peace,
Greg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom