GUE class question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input.

As a few have said this change will not be cheap, but worth it. So that is also in the consideration with keeping my current setup. The primer class is looking to be around $450 ($350 class + at lest $40 for bp/w rental + instructor expenses? + long hose + ??). And to put another $500-$1,000 for a bp/w setup is not going to work at the moment.

I am definately looking forward to the demo day this Sunday to get a little time on some equipment to help me get a better feel for what I am geting into.

Best gear move I made for my diving was trading my Ranger for a BP/W. Ranger's a really nice BC, no question about it, but it just didn't match the comfort, fit, and streamlining of my BP/W.

You'll get a better feel for how they compare this weekend at the GUE Demo Day. Karim and Steve will be able to give you some pointers and feedback, which should be useful. The Primer would be an ideal place to get even more fine-tuning.

A new BP/W from DSS (local to you) is ~$450. Ultimately, if you like a BP/W, you could probably flip the Ranger for a good amount of that. Used, a BP/W is even less.

In any case, come try the gear this weekend, talk with the GUE instructors and others who will be there, and see what you think.

Good luck!

Which is basically what I am looking to learn the most at this point and time. But I am not quite ready to give up my ranger for a bp/w. So I am wondering that if I did take a primer class would the buoyancy/trim work transfer over to my ranger? Or would it be a waste to take the class and not continue on in a bp/w?

Bryan

Are you the Bryan I dove with at Heisler last weekend?

If so, you tend to trim out the ranger fairly well. Probably won't be much work to do the same in a backplate... at this point it's muscle memory and awareness of your body more than anything, but with the higher-up weighting characteristics of a steel plate and the practiced hands of Karim and Steve, you'll probably flatten out that last 10% or so with few issues.

If that wasn't you, sorry for the hijack :wink:

Are you the Bryan I dove with at Heisler last weekend?

If so, you tend to trim out the ranger fairly well. Probably won't be much work to do the same in a backplate... at this point it's muscle memory and awareness of your body more than anything, but with the higher-up weighting characteristics of a steel plate and the practiced hands of Karim and Steve, you'll probably flatten out that last 10% or so with few issues.

If that wasn't you, sorry for the hijack :wink:

Yep that was me. I was tempeted to ask your opinion on my diving, but I did not want to bug you too much. I did enjoy the dive though.

I don't ask anybody to give their time away! I watched my Fundies instructor go through three gruelling days with us (and it's a longer class now) and he earned every penny I paid him.

Anyway -- my comment is that balancing gear is balancing gear. Once you learn the concept, and get a chance to experience the feel of correctly balanced equipment and effortless horizontal trim, then you can take that experience to any gear you dive. You don't have to dive a backplate to trim out -- my husband and I both have to use other equipment when teaching in the pool, and after a little experimentation, I have my pool gear perfectly balanced.

I do think you are overestimating the cost of changing your equipment. I bought my first backplate and wing for $350 used, and sold my Libra for $125, I think; so the net cost was only $225 to upgrade, and it was worth it.

I do think you are overestimating the cost of changing your equipment. I bought my first backplate and wing for $350 used, and sold my Libra for $125, I think; so the net cost was only $225 to upgrade, and it was worth it.

That is totally possible at this point. I have only looked at a web site ot two and heard what the demo bp/w would cost new ($799 Halcyon?) that was being used at the Heisler park get together last weekend.

If the gear swap is inexpensive enough then the question would be why not go straight to fundies and skip the expense of the primer + fundies? I am kind of scared of the price for fundies. But I can ask more questions on that this weekend.

More things to figure out.....

Fundamentals has gotten to be a longer class, now 4-5 days and covers nitrox, and so I can see why its price has crept up over time.

So you get a nitrox card going through fundies? Or just an intro and still have to take a nitrox class? I have recently been thinking about a nitrox.

For those who know they want to continue with GUE (cave or tech) or want to learn about DIR diving (as opposed to mostly just getting a skills class), then doing Fundamentals is going to be something you want to do. For others, the Primer could very well be a terminal class. For some, doing both might be beneficial, especially if money allows that, while others might be better off going straight to Fundies.

Talking and diving with potential instructors should help you decide which path is best for you.

That is totally possible at this point. I have only looked at a web site ot two and heard what the demo bp/w would cost new ($799 Halcyon?) that was being used at the Heisler park get together last weekend.

If the gear swap is inexpensive enough then the question would be why not go straight to fundies and skip the expense of the primer + fundies? I am kind of scared of the price for fundies. But I can ask more questions on that this weekend.

Your Fundies card is stamped for 32% nitrox (GUE standard gas), but I really doubt a shop would give you crap about any <40% mix. It's my wife's only nitrox card. The materials covering nitrox in Fundies were significantly better than what I got in my PADI class (which was fine, just not as detailed).

So you get a nitrox card going through fundies? Or just an intro and still have to take a nitrox class? I have recently been thinking about a nitrox.

I guess it depends on your goals. When we were kicking out, you mentioned that you were initially interested in the 'skills' aspect (trim, buoyancy, whatever) of things. The GUE Primer may therefore be exactly what you're looking for. OTOH if you are interested in team diving philosophy, then perhaps fundies is for you.

As for what I thought... you always seemed aware of me, your gas and the environment. Our navigation was spot on. What little we communicated was clear and concise. Works for me. If you agree with DIR philosophically (TBD, I suppose), learning the procedures is fairly simple, and the only question is how well you perform under stress.

BTW if you didn't see it, here's some video from our dive:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10150271193055655

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom