Gue/dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm ... split fins are not part of the DIR regimen, and therefore this is not the forum to discuss the pro's and con's of that particular gear.

On the other hand, some of y'all are using the forum to perpetuate misleading information about them as well ... and I don't think that's right.

Split fins ... like every piece of dive gear ... have advantages and disadvantages. For the record, one can frog kick in them nicely ... although the technique is a bit different than in paddle fins. One can helicopter in splits ... although not as tightly or controlled as in paddle fins. One can easily use them without stirring up silt ... I personally know dozens of divers who do so regularly, and with every bit as much control as my DIR-trained dive buddies. And split fins don't cause leg cramps ... in fact, they're often easier on people who are susceptible to leg cramps.

Now, don't get me wrong ... I am not a proponent of splits. I gave mine up hundreds of dives ago in favor of a pair of Turtles. On the other hand, I don't think it's a good use of this forum to perpetuate misinformation about non-DIR equipment ... especially since it's verboten for people who use that gear to respond to what some of y'all are saying.

If you want to slam the gear, let's do it out in the equipment forums, where a more balanced view is allowed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For the record, I used splits for a year or so, so I'm not speaking from inexperience. I agee they are much easier on the legs, however I don't believe any degree of fine control is possible with them, as with a more traditional fin.

NWGratefulDiver:
On the other hand, I don't think it's a good use of this forum to perpetuate misinformation about non-DIR equipment ... especially since it's verboten for people who use that gear to respond to what some of y'all are saying.
Agreed...

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... split fins are not part of the DIR regimen, and therefore this is not the forum to discuss the pro's and con's of that particular gear.

On the other hand, some of y'all are using the forum to perpetuate misleading information about them as well ... and I don't think that's right.

oh.... alright....

take away our fun

(but good point) (which is why i usually avoid this forum)
(but this time i didn't realize where i was posting)

but since i'm not DIR, can i diss the split fins anyway???? :eyebrow:

NWGratefulDiver:
especially since it's verboten for people who use that gear to respond to what some of y'all are saying.
Hey, I thought only us down south could say that! :wink:

Jason

Jason B:
Hey, I thought only us down south could say that! :wink:

Jason

You're right ... I grew up on the other side of the mountains from you, in east TN.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom