Hair Care when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I colour my hair frequently: it's long and blonde.

When diving in salt water I wash my hair using a Redken Professional Treatment - you can but it at hair salons. I found by using this daily my hair felt great and didn't suffer at all.

I protect my hair wearing a scap while diving, or my hood wherever possible.

This thread was very helpful!

In the morning after you shower before diving put some regular condition on and comb thru then braid hair so its not free flowing, it will reduce tangles. Arbonne has a great spray on hair conditioner that has spf in it, I use that before diving.

I went out and got some leave in conditioner, Live clean argan oil, it is mostly natural is phthalate and paraben free and says its eco friendly.
exotic nectar - argan oil leave in spray
was $9 CAD for 5ozs

Wow! Thanks for all the awesome advice ladies. I have shoulder length curly hair and it has been wrecked by all the diving. (I'm an Instructor so in the water constantly!) I'll definitely be trying some of these tips.

Wow! Thanks for all the awesome advice ladies. I have shoulder length curly hair and it has been wrecked by all the diving. (I'm an Instructor so in the water constantly!) I'll definitely be trying some of these tips.

I have the same hair! I used the speedo Lycra cap i mentioned a few posts back on my scubacation for a week this month and it was great! Your hair gets wet still, it I just stuffed all my hair in( no ponytail) and it would stay out of the way, cooperate with my mask strap, and would come out of a dive still curly and not tangled! Beachy, but curly:) try it!

I haven't personally tried this yet due to it is a little pricey for me; however, I have heard great things. Sub-Series Hair Care for Divers 804879232384 with reviews at scuba.com
For me I soak my hair in conditioner before my dive, where a hood during the dive, rinse with warm water (boil or use Hot water from sink before you leave the house and put in gallon containers, etc then put in ice chest - it will still be warm :)), then I spray detangler separate hair into sections and brush out. Hair is soft and I can go grab something to eat after my dive and feel semi cleaned up. :gorgeous:

I got the Sub-Series kit on sale and love it. I have mid-back length very fine hair and the spray-on protectant works great. Without it, I can't get a comb through my bangs, much less the rest of it.

I use hair ties to try and contain as much hair as I can to keep it from floating around. Also rinse my hair with fresh water after every dive. At the end of the dive day, I rinse and leave conditioner in it, comb through with a wide tooth comb. When I get home or to the shower at the marina, I shampoo and more conditioner.

I have medium length hair and I've found that a sports head band works really well in the pool/warmer locations. They have to have some sort of rubbery coating on the bottom so they stay in place, and i've occasionally had to try the kids varieties so that they are small enough to stay on my head :cool2:. With the rest of my hair in a braid, they do a really nice job of keeping all of the shorter hair near my face out of my mask/way. Even working with students in the pool and constantly ripping my mask off they generally stay in place for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom