Halcyon vs. XS Scuba Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to outfit my replacement pair of Jets with spring straps. On my previous (now lost) pair, I had Halcyon spring straps as I had no other alternative at the time. I had no complaints about them but now that I've got a new pair of fins, I'm considering the XS Scuba spring straps. Is there any reason I would NOT want them? Such as the fabric covering or the attachment point isn't as durable or the spring diameter is smaller and puts pressure on one's heel?

TIA! :)

I need to outfit my replacement pair of Jets with spring straps. On my previous (now lost) pair, I had Halcyon spring straps as I had no other alternative at the time. I had no complaints about them but now that I've got a new pair of fins, I'm considering the XS Scuba spring straps. Is there any reason I would NOT want them? Such as the fabric covering or the attachment point isn't as durable or the spring diameter is smaller and puts pressure on one's heel?

TIA! :)

Both brands work well.

The XS spring straps' "buckles" are not as neat - they are larger and stick out more as they were designed to accommodate different types of attachment points on various brands of fins. Otoh, the XS straps are relatively cheap compared to Halcyon's.

I've never used the Halcyon straps, but I'm very happy with my XS Scuba straps. I think the pair was about $50 US. I had to drill out the buckle attachment on the fin in order to install the straps, though. No idea if the Halcyon straps are like that. So far, I've used them for 90 dives with no problems.

I had to drill out the buckle attachment on the fin in order to install the straps, though. No idea if the Halcyon straps are like that

If you mean that you had to do that to remove the original pins - which are burred over so they don't come out - then it's the same with the Halcyon straps (although I just used a file)

Whatever brand spring you use, you should punch the new pins after fitting, for the same reason

There are some guys on Scubaboard hat make spring straps. They are better than either one of the two brands you mentioned and are significantly cheaper. Plus 100% of the money goes to a deserving individual. Do a search and I'm sure you'll come across the names.

Another possibility is the DIY route with either SS springs or bungee. <$5. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've done my research and I've (pretty much) narrowed it down to Halcyon again or XS Scuba. :)

Vie or anyone else... do you have a pic of the XS Scuba straps attached to Jets? I'm curious to see just how much more *bulky* they are than the Halcyon's.

I have both Halcyon and XS Scuba straps. I really like the little pull tabs on the XS Scuba straps, but the spring is stronger and does put more pressure on my heels. My husband uses a different spring strap that comes with a rubber pad over the spring and has a little loop as a pull point, and he loves them. Those require some significant "surgery" to install on Jets, though.

Of the ones I've seen or used, I hate to say it but I like the Halcyon ones the best.

Back
Top Bottom