Handling octopus: how do you feel?

If you were on a guided dive from a boat or shore, and the Dive Guide caught an octop

• Appreciate the opportunity to see an octopus closely.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Wish the guide would have refrained from touching the octopus

Votes: 181 74.8%
  • Not really care one way or the other

Votes: 21 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate to see them ripped from their nests.

If someone wants to eat tako, then that is different I guess.

I approach most of these things with balancing the pleasure or education with the harm done. I don't see the point stressing them for the dog and pony show.....

On a club dive this past weekend, before we jumped in the water, I said "don't touch the tako (octopus)". That's how I feel.

On another club dive, the DM was pulling out an octopus (tako) from it's den. Because I don't like this, I moved onto a small patch of reef. The next thing I know, the octopus is shooting in front of me, inking, and jets into a space in the patch I was looking at. Then he shoots right back out. The DM said he was bitten by an eel in the hole he went into. Very sad.

yes, that very great club has many guides who are loco moco and spear and eat their catch and have been doing so for a long time. They are not the "leave only bubbles behind philosophy".

To their credit they work hard to keep most great sites commercial free and a secret with underground hidden moorings, etc.

They are somewhat anti-commercial diving I have noticed. The old native fishing rights vs the newcomers trashing the reef battle.

Good for you for stating that.

litehedded:
he should handle one of these
they're so cute and cuddly

You beat me to the punch...I would agree...But you only have 12 minutes to play then you have to go bedbye:)

LiteHedded:
2005-09-30-bue-ringed-octopus.jpg

Years ago I saw a video on one of the educational channels--can't remember which--in which people found one of these babies and played with it while the camera caught it all. It was only later when they were showing the video to someone who knew something that they learned that they were one lucky group of divers.

Blackwood:
If a creature approaches me, I may touch it. I won't go after them.

I guess I'd appreciate the opportunity to see it up close while wishing the leader had left it alone.

(2) + (1)

same here.

LiteHedded:
2005-09-30-bue-ringed-octopus.jpg

:no
but I like it:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom