Handling octopus: how do you feel?

If you were on a guided dive from a boat or shore, and the Dive Guide caught an octop

• Appreciate the opportunity to see an octopus closely.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Wish the guide would have refrained from touching the octopus

Votes: 181 74.8%
  • Not really care one way or the other

Votes: 21 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once, I found a very small octopus on the edge of the boat I was on after getting out after a shallow dive. I thought it was cool so I stuck it on my face to get a picture taken, becuase, like, how awesome would it be to have a picture of an octopus on your face? Anyways, I think it tried to eat me. Whatever it did, it hurt. So now I think maybe I don't want to touch octopuses.

LiteHedded:
2005-09-30-bue-ringed-octopus.jpg

Don't touch me...you will regret :shakehead
I don't like divers or dive leader provoke marine creatures...:no

I have almost lost a glove playing with an octopus when he wouldnt let it go so I guess that sort of makes my feelings clear.

But one question about the Octopus (or Tako as some refer to it as): Sashimi, Maki, or Nigiri?

I think that a diver can initiate contact, but if the octo is inking it obviously doesn't want to be there. If the octo is fine with you touching it then go ahead, but don't do anything the animal doesn't want you to do

If you ain't gonna eat it Leave It Alone!

Very few things make me really upset. Handling, tormenting, chasing, etc wild animals, land or sea, is one of them. Kill it: Eat it: But Do Not Torture It.

A few years ago on Maui I chastised the Dive Guide, nicely of course, about handling octopus. It was so effective that he not only stopped doing it; but encouraged others to do the same.

I beleive you should TOUCH NOTHING AT ALL EVER!!!! you are a guest.

A dive guide in Malaysia pulled a porqupine fish out from behind a rock on our last dive there to make it blow up......he faced the full verbal wrath of the monkey when we got out of the water.

If the octo wants to handle you, that's fine.

If I find a red octo in the open I might position my hand in its direction of travel. If it should chose to check me out... sweet! If not, I'm more than happy to observe.

The idea of ripping an octo from its den makes me shudder.

I won't touch I've had a few friends bit from handling one. But the Octo are a little bigger on the west coast of B.C. I personally am still a little scared of them.

Before my first trip to Hawaii I ordered a video from Sea Paradise Scuba. After watching their DM block an octopus' escape and make it ink several times, plus grabbing a Moray eel out of its den I decided to go with Kona Coast Divers instead.

WarrenZ:
But one question about the Octopus (or Tako as some refer to it as): Sashimi, Maki, or Nigiri?
I like my tako best in spicy seaweed salad, but that only my favorite japanese preparation. I had fresh octopus saute in a cardamom tomato sauce that reminded me of tikka masala when I was in Kenya, and it was one of the most delicious meals I've ever eaten.

Back
Top Bottom