Handling octopus: how do you feel?

If you were on a guided dive from a boat or shore, and the Dive Guide caught an octop

• Appreciate the opportunity to see an octopus closely.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Wish the guide would have refrained from touching the octopus

Votes: 181 74.8%
  • Not really care one way or the other

Votes: 21 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
I like my tako best in spicy seaweed salad, but that only my favorite japanese preparation. I had fresh octopus saute in a cardamom tomato sauce that reminded me of tikka masala when I was in Kenya, and it was one of the most delicious meals I've ever eaten.

I personally wish we wouldn’t eat them, but it isn’t illegal so I can’t object.

However, the original poster is talking about handling sea life for our entertainment. Please don’t confuse the two.

Honestly I would look & take some shots but I would not want anyone to touch the creature.
I do not see anything wrong with just looking at it on a rock etc instead of a guides arm.

Thanks to all of those that have, or will, participate in this poll. I was purposely specific with the question because I wasn’t really looking for any judgments. We have all seen enuf of these threads to know the reactions and opinions that follow. Always interesting, but my goal here was to find out what divers want from their guides and the answer was unambiguous.

So I have a tip for all you dive guides out there. For the most part, divers would rather not see you harassing the octos. This trend is even more pronounced from photographers. Whether, you agree or disagree that the action is harmful, whether you think that it’s unimportant because commercial fishing or land development does more harm, whatever your personal feelings may be you should realize that the divers you are leading will more likely be happier and tip you more if you leave the octopus alone. Most divers it would seem, prefer to see the animal from a distance if it means it is a more natural observation.

Poll results so far:

===================================
For all polls combined,

13% said they would appreciate the opportunity to see an octopus closely and be apt to thank or increase the tip after the dive.

80% said they would wish the guide would have refrained from touching the octopus and want to tell the DM so or decrease the tip after the dive.

7% said they would not really care one way or the other

===============================

…for polls taken on forums of uw photographers,

2% said they would appreciate the opportunity to see an octopus closely and be apt to thank or increase the tip after the dive.

94% said they would wish the guide would have refrained from touching the octopus and want to tell the DM so or decrease the tip after the dive.

4% said they would not really care one way or the other
=======================================

Thanks again!

And it's not just octos....

I once saw a guide harrass a puffer until he puffed. I was more displeased with that than with octo touching.

Guides survive on tips from grateful divers so it may be tempting for them to do things they shouldn't. It may take more dives but I would like to see things naturally. A point in the right direction would be appreciated but I don't need fish stressed or their routines altered.

I wish I could have read the entire question.
I have had octos seek me out, sit on my arm calmly, and gently explore my equipment with their tentacles. It would flush a pleasurable blue when stroked. They would openly enjoy the contact. I believe that is OK. However, to make them ink is harrassment of the worst kind

I'd rather watch and not touch. We humans have a lot of bacteria on our hands and touching sealife is only hurting them. I even go so far as not toughing fish when I fly fish. I use a small set of pliers to remove the hook without touching the fish.

MSilvia:
I like my tako best in spicy seaweed salad, but that only my favorite japanese preparation. I had fresh octopus saute in a cardamom tomato sauce that reminded me of tikka masala when I was in Kenya, and it was one of the most delicious meals I've ever eaten.

do you like sharks fin soup as well? :(

bubblemonkey:
do you like sharks fin soup as well? :(
Wow... how is eating tako ANYTHING near the slaughter of sharks for shark fin soup?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom