Handling octopus: how do you feel?

If you were on a guided dive from a boat or shore, and the Dive Guide caught an octop

• Appreciate the opportunity to see an octopus closely.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Wish the guide would have refrained from touching the octopus

Votes: 181 74.8%
  • Not really care one way or the other

Votes: 21 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y:
Wow... how is eating tako ANYTHING near the slaughter of sharks for shark fin soup?

in exactly the same way that giving me your fave recipe for octopus is answering the OPs question.....none whatsoever!!!

Interesting...

Humboldt Squid are a different story......

P1010040.jpg

On our trips we hold the animals so people can observe them close up. It is the only safe way to get close to them and to get macro shots. Alot of times there will be free swimming squid around the customers but those shots are harder to get. the animals rarely ink when restrained and stay around when let go (still dont know why).

All customers wear full body dive armor (like wearing a shark cage) so the animals can get close but the customers are protected. they are also cabled to the boat.

After the customers get a shot of the animal of the deep, we let them go. The alternative for the squid is to be caught and hacked into pieces and sold. We hire the local help and it helps keep them from harvesting squid. If they catch a squid, I grab it off of the line before they get it to the surface. We photograph it, log in the data of the animal, and release it.

If you can get the shot and info and not touch the animal at all that is the best way, but sometimes I believe you can interact with nature and not harm it, and actualy help the situation out.

I think one of the reason that people like sharks so much is because divers got to swim with them in cages or otherwise after they were baited in. they learned that sharks are not just killers they are cool.

If you wanted to show your kid how cool a lizard was and show him that it was not something to kill, you could catch one and show him or her the beauty of the animal and tell them that killing them is a bad thing to do. then to demonstrate, you release the animal. I know we are not children, however sometimes it is nice to be able to see the up close beauty of the seas creatures. I believe there is interaction possible on some animals and not others.

In my opinion, an octupuss will come out of its cave to check you out anyway as long as you dont try and touch it. It you will try and touch it it WILL take off.

You can get those shots all day, other animals are not so easy.

GTB
http://www.sea-wolves.com

Mike126:
I'd rather watch and not touch. We humans have a lot of bacteria on our hands and touching sealife is only hurting them. I even go so far as not toughing fish when I fly fish. I use a small set of pliers to remove the hook without touching the fish.

Gee...you worry about a little contact bacteria when you've just ripped a hole in its mouth with a hook!
Hmmm.....

Don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all. As a matter of fact, a guide in Okinawa did this and the little critter crawled up his arm, lickety slit, and was working on his mask when he pried it loose whereupon it jetted off in a cloud of ink. I enjoyed watching the guide's panic, but was pretty angry that he had decided to pick the little beastie up.

Just had a guide try to pry out an octo on the Oriskany the other day. He felt pretty bad when these little strings kept coming out. He figured out pretty quick what they were...eggs. After he figured it out he wouldn't let anyone even close to the hole.

I wish that all the dive guides don't do anything like that, especially if divers who follow them think it's right to do so.
I dived with some DM before who warned the costumers for riding the turtle, for touching or harrassing some creatures, and I can't wait to dive with them again.
But I also dived with DM who crafted his name to the coral, and destroyed the crinoid to catch the shrimp and puffed a puffer to please other divers, who was pleased.
I regret until now that I didn't say a thing.

Imo, if the creature don't want to interact with you, be it. But if they want to, it's ok.

But try not to destroy or harrass anything, don't rip the animal out of their nest. For those who take pictures, I agree that the flash from our camera is enough priviledge.
I can't say the same and feel happy if someone come to my house and take a snap of me without my consent. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom