Has anyone dove with the new DR Venture air cell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcpilot44

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the market for my first BP/wing. I dive with a steel 130 and am 6 foot 300# guy. I use a 3 mm wet suit. I am thinking that a 40# wing should be OK. I am not looking for a wing that can be used on both singles and doubles. When I start diving double I will buy a wing made for doubles. Any ideas??

Hi Rcpilot44,
40#lift should do you fine. I've done the venture wing with a LP 95 and fully inflated, I could not get underwater at all. I weigh about 320, and wasn't wearing any wetsuit. No problem with buoyancy at all. It's a nice little set up. If you are not sure about a 40# wing, the DR Rec Wings are a good all round choice. I hope this helps. If your LDS cannot help you, give us a call or PM me.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

Thanks, I was looking at the DR REC but it is made for both singles and doubles. I have seen pictures of it being a taco. Have you had any experience with OMS? I have family in Montgomery NY. Next time I am up your way I will stop in and say hi.

Hi Again,
Yes I am very familiar with OMS. We are an authorized dealer for them as well as Dive Rite. As a matter of fact, they are right down the road from us. John G. has visited our store personally. As far as Dive Rite vs OMS, both offer excellent equipment. There is a lot of hype as to who is better. The only way to answer this is for you to try them both out before you make a decision. I actually use equipment from both, plus mix/match accessories with no problem at all. For side mounting, I use a DR TransPacII converted into a Nomad. Before my back injury, I used an OMS SS Backplate, 94 lb Dual Bladder Bungee wing and DIR/Hogarthian style harness. As far as the wing "Taco" effect around the bladder, DIR says this is how it should be done. However that is not written in stone, and if you don't like that effect, I can show you how to prevent it with either DR or an OMS bladder. The big thing is not to believe that the biggest bladder is always the best, and from what you said and what you are looking at, I think you already have that part covered. Both DR and OMS offer small bladders in the 30 - 40 lb range. Again the best way is to try them with your full kit, and see which one works best for you. You cannot go wrong with either brand.
Stop in anytime - the coffee is always on, and someone is out diving almost every day. Hope to see you soon.
Stay in touch, and let me know what you decide.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom