Has anyone gone wet again after diving dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue is not "wet or dry". The issue is safety, comfort and mobility in a given diving environment.

the K

phillybob:
7mm Bare semi-dry from July till November. Dry for the rest of the year. Off N.J.

What is a Bare semi-dry? I have been a Bare user since 2004 and I never saw what I would consider to be a semi-dry.

They have drysuits and wetsuits with some nice gasketing but I'm not aware of a semi-dry.

Pete

Went dry after 20 some dives - took a few dives to get used to it but I'll never do the cold stuff again without it. It's nice being able to actually really enjoy the cold dives with a drysuit, instead of just surviving them with a wetsuit. Any dive that requires a 7mm wetsuit to be comfortable would be much better done in a drysuit.

That said though, I do like the wetsuit for the warmer stuff.

-Nick

I dove wet in warm water (70 or above) for years, then moved to Boston. I took a drysuit course and felt like you are describing - I loved how warm I was and despised the bulk, the preparation, the extra weight, the overall lack of ease in diving dry vs. wet. I bought a starter drysuit (7mm Bare D6 Pro-dry) anyways, because for most of the year in Boston, I didn't have a choice that didn't involve a flight or freezing my hind end off.

I hated the drysuit. HATED. For at least 2 months. Then I hated it less and less. I felt more and more at ease. A year and a half later, with more than 125 dives on my starter, the exhaust valve needed to be replaced. I then made the jump to a custom DUI suit. Which I love, but which still took a few dives to get used to. Now when I dive in a wetsuit, I feel disconcertingly naked and have to triple-check everything!!

Buy something that fits you but is not top-of-the line. Give it a chance...you might grow to love it.

I have both and do both. But I much prefer wet whenever possible. You're right DS are a pain.

I like going back to the wetsuit when the water is 68 degrees or so, I just prefer the way it feels.
Ber :lilbunny:

When the water's below 55, I prefer to dive dry... but if surface temps are decent, I don't always. When the water's above 55, I prefer to dive wet. But sometimes I dive dry anyway.

Pretty much depends on my mood at the moment, how I'm feeling, packing and climate considerations, and a host of other things, but I go back and forth between wet and dry all the time. I vastly prefer wet, in general, but sometimes the cold definitely makes me want to dive dry instead, as opposed to staying topside.

I dive dry most of the time, to be honest it takes no longer to suit up for drysuit diving than it does for wetsuit diving, assuming you're wearing a stiffer 7mm suit.

I've even seen drysuit divers beat the wetsuit divers getting suited up, so it's not really a time issue.

From your description I'd say you have feelings like many drysuit divers do in the beginning, it's a love hate relationship in the beginning but she grows on you over time.

Of course you'll dive wet and dry, it depends on what you're doing. I still do wet, but probably only 2 or 3 dives a year are wet and the rest are drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom