Has anyone gone wet again after diving dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will not go back to the wetsuit here in Seattle. Its just too cold and I dont have any fat on me. Drysuit is the only way to go in cold water. At least for me........

Nothing wrong with that

I live up here in Northern California above San Francisco and the water is 42 to 53 degrees generally.
I started in all sorts of off the rack wetsuits and it was a challenge especially on the second or third dive. The cold cramps would get ya.
I ran accross a good deal on a commercial drysuit so I went for it. I liked it. I didn't like the sweating before the dive, it lead to becoming cold half way through the dive. I also didn't like the maintenance.
So one day I was doing some work on a commercial salmon boat and I got to talking with the guy and he told me he used to be an urchin diver. I asked what kind of suit they wore and he showed me his commercial urchin diver wetsuit. They can stay up to 4 hours at a time in 45 degree water with these suits and not get cold, so I ordered one. It cost me $1000 for a 1/2" rubatex neoprene suit but it's way warmer than any drysuit and will last forever. Another nice thing is there are never any floods, you can pee if you really need to, and you will never rip a seal and never miss a dive , ever!

spectrum:
...They have drysuits and wetsuits with some nice gasketing but I'm not aware of a semi-dry.Pete

That's what they call a 'semi-dry'. A wet suit with a bit more of a seal. Kind of a stupid term. Like semi-pregnant.

phillybob:
That's what they call a 'semi-dry'. A wet suit with a bit more of a seal. Kind of a stupid term. Like semi-pregnant.

That's a misuse of the term. The most common semi-dry is the Mares Isotherm. As well as my Bare gear has served me it is not in that same league, they are just very effective wet suits.

Pete

I had a dry suit and hated it. Felt like I was diving in a trash bag. Sold it last year. I do have a rubatex neoprene 7mm wet suit. Had it custom made at M & B in Long Beach, Ca. The sheriff's department divers have their suit made their too. The Rubatex suit, skin side in, is the warmest wet suit I have ever owned. Unfortunately I have gained some weight and out grown the suit. If some one is looking for Rubatex this suit is for sale. PM me for pictures. The suit is cut for a person 6' 2", 210#.

dawhale:
I had a dry suit and hated it. Felt like I was diving in a trash bag. Sold it last year. I do have a rubatex neoprene 7mm wet suit. Had it custom made at M & B in Long Beach, Ca. The sheriff's department divers have their suit made their too. The Rubatex suit, skin side in, is the warmest wet suit I have ever owned. Unfortunately I have gained some weight and out grown the suit. If some one is looking for Rubatex this suit is for sale. PM me for pictures. The suit is cut for a person 6' 2", 210#.
Hey Dawhale,
That's who made my suit, M&B.
I originally wanted a 3/8" suit which would be a bit thicker than 9 mil, but the guy told me he only had a sheet of 1/2" Rubatex left and that Rubatex was no longer available so if I wanted it I better get it. So that's how I wound up with 1/2". It's crazy thick at just under 13 mils thick! It's a 3/4 zip 2 piece beaver tail with attached hood with stainless clasps, kevlar on the elbows and knees. Totally old school and totally cool!
I need to dive it more though to break it in. The problem is I get so damn hot in it even in 48 degree water and I get uncomfortable, and when I get out I have to go back in and lay in the ocean without the top on just to cool off.
I think I got more than I bargained for.
I had to start working out again just to have the power to move around in it!

Eric

http://www.northcoastdivers.org
http://www.pacificcoastmarine.net

ZKY:
Hey Dawhale,
That's who made my suit, M&B.
I originally wanted a 3/8" suit which would be a bit thicker than 9 mil, but the guy told me he only had a sheet of 1/2" Rubatex left and that Rubatex was no longer available so if I wanted it I better get it. So that's how I wound up with 1/2". It's crazy thick at just under 13 mils thick! It's a 3/4 zip 2 piece beaver tail with attached hood with stainless clasps, kevlar on the elbows and knees. Totally old school and totally cool!
I need to dive it more though to break it in. The problem is I get so damn hot in it even in 48 degree water and I get uncomfortable, and when I get out I have to go back in and lay in the ocean without the top on just to cool off.
I think I got more than I bargained for.
I had to start working out again just to have the power to move around in it!

Eric

http://www.northcoastdivers.org
http://www.pacificcoastmarine.net
how much lead does it take to sink that puppy?

divinginn:
how much lead does it take to sink that puppy?
I wear a 4 lb.freedom plate with a 4 lb wedge weight attached to it and a 45 lb weight belt and a steel E7 100. I can float on the surface with no air in the wing and break neutral about 10 feet down starting out and neutral 15 to 18 at the end. If it wasn't for the weight of the plate I'd have to wear in excess of 50 lbs. on a belt. With that much rubber thickness the buoyancy change with water pressure is drastic.
I call this thing the semi truck tire suit.

The urchin divers that wear them have 10 lb weights lined up all the way around their waist, but then they are using hookah also.

Back
Top Bottom