Have you ordered gear from Joe Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dzer0:
I just can’t see how you could say it’s prone to explosions just because it’s ordered online. Perhaps if your talking used equipment on ebay, but then all “used” equipment is “use at own risk” style anyway.
:lol:
I swear it's true. At least to Dive Training Magazine anyway. And many on the board. I'm sure that they're impartial too. Why just the other day, I bought a reg from LP that blew up on me at 8,000 feet. Not to mention the fins that simply melted after I dived into the surface of the sun. You see, you just can't trust the quality of the items on Internet stores. If I had bought those from a LDS, nothing would have happened and I could have gotten them serviced.

tridacna:
:lol:
I swear it's true. At least to Dive Training Magazine anyway. And many on the board. I'm sure that they're impartial too. Why just the other day, I bought a reg from LP that blew up on me at 8,000 feet. Not to mention the fins that simply melted after I dived into the surface of the sun. You see, you just can't trust the quality of the items on Internet stores. If I had bought those from a LDS, nothing would have happened and I could have gotten them serviced.

perhaps if you went titanium it might have worked out for you :p

Don't forget Dive Sports and Mr. Phil Ellis. He was an accomplished engineer and a pillar of our (North Carolina) community before he set up in the dive business to serve us. He is a model of integrity with no tolerance for the slipshod. He will provide you value and service as he has done for me.

Stu S.:
Don't forget Dive Sports and Mr. Phil Ellis. He was an accomplished engineer and a pillar of our (North Carolina) community before he set up in the dive business to serve us. He is a model of integrity with no tolerance for the slipshod. He will provide you value and service as he has done for me.

Wow Stu. Thanks for the wonderful words.

Phil Ellis

Stu S.:

I'll second that! Phil was very patient with me, and all of my questions, on the phone and hooked me up with a great deal on my regulators.

tridacna:
I've ordered from Joe Divers. They are fine. No problems whatsoever. Be careful when buying from the Internet however. According to many on the baord, equipment ordered online is highly likely to burst, fail, or break at a moments notice especially when you least expect it. Equipment bought from your LDS is much more expensive but because it has a manufacturer's warrant will never fail. Your wallet is also more likely to be thinned out by the LDS so you will carry less weight when you travel. Now that's a big plus.

Seriously, shop around the net, then get your LDS to at least try and come close to those numbers. Remember that it's all about the service.

Tridacna,

your statement that "equipment ordered online is highly likely to burst, faiil, for break at a moements notice" is very false and misleading.

95% to 100% of the time it's the exact same gear as what you buy at your LDS.

Equipment ordered online is no more highly likely to "burst" or "fail" than equipment bought at a LDS.

Many of the "online dealers" are true regular LDS's trying to keep alive by offering online sales also. To make the above statement, do you imply that they offer "suspect goods" that are of fake or lessor quality?

In fact, there are some LDS's I wouldn't buy at. Some of their requlators have been sitting in that "glass case" for 4 to 5 years and would be more likely to have dry-rotted diaphrams based purely on shelf-age of the product.

Now there are a few 'grey market' online shops that are not forthcoming that they sometimes aren't authorized dealers or swap something like European models with foreign language manuals, but even that is limited.

perhaps your message was to get the diver to try his LDS first, which I agree with, but assement of online shops as likely "failure points" of equipment is not the way to point someome.

As for buying from JoeDiver, the fact they won't publish a phone number for customer service is reason enough for me to buy elsewhere.

That just shows they don't want to have to deal/talk with their customers. There are many other online shops that are true dive shops that excell in customer service that will give you the same great prices and also provide you a toll-free phone number to help you with any purchase or customer service issues. Shops like Dive Sports or Scuba Toys would get my vote based on that.

many others here are very happy with Scuba Toys. Many other are happy with Dive Sports. I've bought a majority of my gear from them and Phil goes out of his way to give you great customer service and will beat or match any price.

He was being sarcastic. Some people act as if the equipment you buy online is **** and will die the first time you go under 60ft.

What do you call allot? I have spent over $1500 dollars in less than a year of being a customer and in the coming months I plan of spending atleast another $1000.

beach89:
He was being sarcastic. Some people act as if the equipment you buy online is **** and will die the first time you go under 60ft.

heh... I guess I should look at it in that light :)

sorry Tridacna!

mike_s:
heh... I guess I should look at it in that light :)

sorry Tridacna!

Let me say that my office is two blocks away from LP. (Delibarate choice? Perhaps not). I shop there FREQUENTLY. I love their variety, prices AND attitude. I have bought almost ALL my gear on the net. Scubatoys, JDA, LP and others. Never ever had a problem. Service has been great....and I can afford more diving.

:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom