Hawaii's Horror--a photo essay of my sleepless night.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How big are these things? I have seen centipedes in Austin that are maybe 6 inches long.If you poke them with a stick they run up the stick to attack you! Nightmare creatures !!

The Nature Centre here has one (Giant Desert Centipede) the info sheet says something like "although no one has known to have died from the bite? sting? of this insect it will hurt like hell for several hours"
Very reassuring !!

After hiking around in the Hawaiian mountains and living like an animal for a couple of weeks, training with the 5th Infantry Division, I returned to Japan and started scrubbing that infernal red clay off of my gear. I dumped my rucksack out, and a HUGE centipede fell out. It was only after I'd stomped the crap out of it that I realized it was dead before I'd stomped it. *shudder*

FYI, it's the pincers in the front that deal the sting, and no, they are not related to arachnids. (Scorpions, spiders, crabs, etc.)

I'm not real fond of spiders, either. Where I grew up, in the high desert, we had tarantulas and black widows all over the place, along with the occasional scorpion.

ahhh, you are a high desert boy....now it all makes sense!

they get about 8-10 inches I would say. this one was about four inches and yes, Cheryl, he was these colors but only with some photediting did they come out. If you are killing them, they never flee, they just lunge at you! They like cool moist places like a coiled hose, damp leaves, etc. Sometimes they fake their demise and then suddenly come to life! Right out of a science fiction movie. I hear there are way more on Maui, Al.

Catherine - I didn't read every line. I couldn't as I was cringing too much. I feel for you.

Would it keep them away if you were to sleep with a light on, just a thought??????? How about having a friend, like OE or Dennis, over and you can take turns keeping an eye out for them while the other sleeps. I would. Those things are scary creepy.

I hope you get some sleep tonight.

Thanks you guys I am now itchy all over, I hate centipedes and have flamed a few spiders in my time! This is just awful...I would have to put a dome tent on that bed and duck tape the zippers on it in order to get some sleep!!!!

Missdirected:
Catherine - I didn't read every line. I couldn't as I was cringing too much. I feel for you.

Would it keep them away if you were to sleep with a light on, just a thought??????? How about having a friend, like OE or Dennis, over and you can take turns keeping an eye out for them while the other sleeps. I would. Those things are scary creepy.

I hope you get some sleep tonight.

okay, now that made me laugh out loud. I am sure they will fly right in! Denny got bit by a spider in the PI so he may be an insect attractant.

And I can't dive for 2 more weeks!

really? because of the spider bite?

Yeah, there is still infection in it and it is on the side of my face along the jaw. They get a bit worried when your temperature goes up. And they don't know what it was , for sure...

Diver Dennis:
Yeah, there is still infection in it and it is on the side of my face along the jaw. They get a bit worried when your temperature goes up. And they don't know what it was , for sure...

Aaaaaaack! Dennis - okay you stay home. Yes, please stay home until you are well. You and she are competitors now anyway, right :D Have to keep that spirit alive.

Well Catherine, ask OE2X, if he is not already out of breath from running to the airport, which I think he probably is. (He will need clothing and things when he arrives - somehow in his rush he didn't pack) :14:

Edit: The plane didn't leave for another hour. So in desperation to get to your place, he continued on with the running and should be at your place shortly, hahahahahaha :D

Dream well :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom