Hearing about Kimber has really shaken me up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen:
It's weird, I think about giving up motorcycling when I hear about a crippling accident or the death of another rider. I think it's because of the risk from other drivers/deer/poor roads/etc. With diving I feel like I have much more control over the situation, maybe it's the training or the planning that goes into it but it just seems like an endeavor where the outcome has less left to chance.

I'd agree. I gave up motorcycling after a couple of incidents - one where I was knocked off my bike by a car driver turning across my path and another a few weeks later where a friend was killed in a similar accident. I just couldn't deal with the fact that I was not responsible for my own safety - I was entrusting it to other road users.

At least with scuba diving I am mostly responsible for my own safety - sure there are some things beyond your control and accidents will always happen but at least in scuba diving you have a higher degree of control over the risks you expose yourself to.

As I always say, the most dangerous part of scuba diving is driving to and from the dive site!

A friend once told me,
I don't want to dive because there are sharks in the water,
I don't want to hike because there are tigers in the forest,
I didn't realize anything for few minutes, that friend of mine doesn't want to take up anything with risk. But, there is nothing on earth which doesn't come with risk.

When Open Water or similar movie came out, many of my friends freaked out. I did to when I watched Jaws before I started diving. But then, I realized something else. It seems like non divers found diving accidents more scary than divers, one news in paper is enough to make them say a lot of thing to prevent us going to the next trip. But that's good, because they care. What I want to say is I was more scared too about diving accidents when I was a non diver, because all I could think about is that this is a sport for crazy people without better thing to do, and the risks maybe about 50%.
But when I dive, I know that many unfortunate things are preventable and it actually is not as 'bad' as what I thought.

ItsBruce:
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the "If I Should Die While Diving" thread. If not, everyone should read it. As for me, if I should die or be incapacitated while diving, I would like the matter discussed far and wide. First, if it was dive related, discussion may help prevent injuries to others. Second, in the event anyone on the board really cares about me enough to feel badly, discussion may make them feel better ... even if it is speculation. Discussion reduces the feeling of helplessness.

Im with ya....I want everthing discussed and have states as such in my will, to my friends, family and every time I go diving with somebody new. Nothing is to be withheld....

I don't know Kimber at all other than posting here on the board. I'm still praying for her, and her family. I can't imagine her giving up diving if one of us was involved in an accident. Life is too short to worry about death...it's coming no matter what you do or don't do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom