Hello Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryUSA

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,

As is protocol this is my introductory post. I am new to SCUBA, had the chance to go a few feet for a couple of minutes once and now I want to get certified and start diving.

I am taking a 7 day vacation to Puerto Vallarta (Dec31-Jan06) and joined the forum so I could get all of my ducks in a row before I get there. Hopefully I can find a good instructor before I even arrive.

Once certified I will be diving in WA State. My Brother-in-Law is a great diver and with one class he could certify me himself, but I have always been one to keep training and family separate for both our sakes.

About Me:
I work in Alaska on the oil pipeline (2-week rotations). I was Army Infantry in the 101st Airborne. I worked in the GOM as an ROV pilot so I am quite familiar with sea life and now I want to see it up close.

That should be plenty of an introduction, feel free to say hi.

,TerryUSA

Have you checked out the Mexico forum yet? Here's a link: Mexico

Lots of people suggest that you do your pool/book training at home and then do your check out dives on your vacation. You'll find the conditions in Washington quite different from Puerto Vallarta though!

Thanks, I will look check the forum out when I get a chance tonight.

I think just glancing at the prices online it may be cheaper to get certified in WA. The only reason I haven't gotten certified yet though is my two week rotations make it very difficult to line a whole class up. I need to look into the advantages of getting certified here vs there vs half & half.

most shops will allow you to do your pool sessions one weekend, and open water dives some other weekend (not necessarily the very next weekend). You might try asking to see if they can accommodate your schedule.

Hello Everyone,

Once certified I will be diving in WA State. My Brother-in-Law is a great diver and with one class he could certify me himself, but I have always been one to keep training and family separate for both our sakes.

,TerryUSA

Terry: You might want to recheck this with your brother in law. Does not sound quite right !!!!!!!!!!!

If you are south of Seattle you might check with Bob Bailey - NWGRATEFULDIVER on this board. He is an instructor and could work with your schedule.
I did my drysuit course with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom