help me plan my next O/W basic class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my ow class we went over the different entries. Like giant stride, some flip thing, backwards roll.

Wendy once bubbled...
In my ow class we went over the different entries. Like giant stride, some flip thing, backwards roll.

Wendy, we will first learn that at the end of the first pool day, after we have worked our way from the shallow end on scuba to the deep end, and finished off in the deep end.

Pool exits in the deep end are a lot like boat exits. You can walk up the ladder like on a big boat (in which case your fins have to come off first before you ascend the ladder), or you can ditch your gear with your vest inflated into the water and vault up the side of the pool like on a small inflatable boat, in which case your fins are best kept on and used for thrust.

Then after we take our gear over to the benches, we can learn the various entries in snorkeling gear for the first time.

We teach two types of stide entries, one for low drops called the giant stride, and another for higher drops called the feet-together stride or hop. And we teach two rolling entries, the backwards roll (which is just a 1/4 roll more like a backwards squatting entry) and a forward roll, which is a full 360 degree summersault forwards. The latter are for small, inflatable boats.

Which one was your favorite when you were learning them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom