Help Me Plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to all of those ports.
Belize City, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.
Quite frankly I can't think of anything in any of those ports to do other than go diving
Belize City is where the tenders end up after the ship anchors out. All my trips there I have used the excursion through the ship. The dive boat comes up to the side of the ship take you out to the site with a short stop at their facility on an outlying Cay
Then they bring you back to the ship. In about eight trips on cruise ships to " Belize City" I have only stepped foot in Belize City twice
Costa Maya the dives are not that great however I don't think there is anything else in that area other than sit by the pool and drink
Roatan and Cozumel are must do Dives . In Roatan I have always used the ship excursion which uses Anthonys Key Resort . In Cozumel I have started using Aldora Divers, who are located right in the middle of town.

Just got back from Carnival Magic trip to Coz, Belize, Roatan. Had a BLAST!
A tropical storm blew threw Central America for over a week so it did affect some of the excursions.
Cozumel we went snorkeling and had lunch at Money Bar. Rain storm for an hour but beautiful otherwise.
Belize, unfortunately, was flooded so most of the inland excursions were canceled. Our trip to Xunantunich was one that could not be reached as all the rivers were too high so roads impassible. Most of the cave tubing excursions were canceled as the water level inside the caves was too high for safety. We switched over to a snorkel catamaran tour and had a great time, even with intermittent rain. The afternoon though was a deluge of rain. Uggghh.
Roatan was great, overcast but nice. We did the 5 hour excursion to Maya Key. Great snorkeling and lunch.

We both had such a great time on the ship that we will be doing another cruise, for sure. We may even do this itinerary again but not during rainy season. If we do, we will take dive gear and dive in Roatan for sure, maybe Cozumel also. We still want to see ruins in Belize so we would try to book that again.

Carnival cruise lines was perfect for US. Very wide range of people onboard, from young people, families with small kids, couples our age, older couples and large groups. Everyone got along really well. It was fun to see people dancing and talking and hanging out, all types of people, just enjoying themselves and getting to know each other without "social" boundaries. We met a few people (at dinner) who said they liked another cruise line more as it was "older group" and "less rowdy". To each his own. We found this atmosphere to be fun and we really enjoyed it, even with the rainouts in Belize.

robin

Jayray87! I think you'll find Brazil best for both. Dive and Staying on land. Brazil will be the best choice. BEST OF LUCK.

Long time reader first time poster.

My wife and I are OW certified and we have dove in Cayman and Florida only. Will be on a cruise in April with some family members. The cruise visits Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, and Costa Maya. I am planning on diving as much as possible, but need to have at least one destination set aside for family (who will be on land).

Based on others experiences, which places would be the best to dive and which would be the best to stay on land. Also where should I look to dive in that place.

Appreciate the recommendations, love this board.

Thanks.

Dive in Coz with Sand to Sea Adventures and Dive in Roatan with Coconut Divers. Both very willing to work with Cruise schedules. Been diving with both for over 5 years. Great operations. Irene

I would agree that Coz and Roatan are good dive choices. I have been diving in Costa Maya and it's not bad. In Roatan the cruise op is Anthony's Key Resort, Coz is Sand Dollar Sports and Costa Maya I think is Dream Time Divers. I have used all these operators and only one I have had issues with was Anthony's Key resort and that may have been just a bad day for the operator.

There is not much to do in Costa Maya but shop at the cruise line built shopping town,go to the Mayan ruins, dive or snorkel. The whole area was wiped out by a hurricane a few years ago and was rebuilt bigger and better afterwards.

There is a lot of Shopping (jewelry) in Coz. There is a great Mayan Aztec Museum south of town. There are not any really good beaches on Coz.

Back
Top Bottom