HELP WANTED: How to dive with a COLD....or something like it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As all previous posters said,you just don't dive with med's.
Sorry but you'll have to sit this one out.

Get well soon.

Hey, is there a way to go diving with a cold or something like it. How can I do this? Are there meds I can take? Help....? Cough cough sniff sniff.

To add to what everyone has already said, the "cough cough" part of the cold is an often-overlooked danger: it is possible (I do not know how likely, but from what I've read & been told possible) for mucus in the lungs to cause obstructions that have the potential to trap air (in small bronchioles?) and then cause embolism upon ascent.

I will dive with a very mild head cold if I can get my sinuses completely clear pre-dive (with saline, Afrin, etc.), but will absolutely NOT dive with a cough, wheeze, or any form of lung congestion.

But more often then not, I'll just cancel the dive until I'm 100% over the cold. :depressed:

Stay Safe!

As it was explained in our OW class recently:

Not only could you have discomfort equalizing on ascent, but if there is congestion in your lungs inhibiting the free flow of air, you could end up with internal injury from the trapped air expanding in the lung, just as if you held your breath.

Also, your body may react differently to the medications while under the pressure at depth, and the med may wear off much faster than it would have at the surface, and/or hit you much stronger than it would have. A pill that only makes you slightly less energetic at the surface may completely zonk you at 30 feet.

I can understand not wanting to miss the dive, especially if this is a trip you've been planning for a long time, and even more especially if it's too late to reschedule or get a refund, but the risks just aren't worth it.

.... I hope you got the message ?

DON'T DIVE ! !​

I am sorry, but man, if you dive after all this reiteration, you must just really want to dive, or for someone to tell you its okay. But I have to go with everyone else, Diving with a cold is No-Go, take a knee, drink some O.J., get better, and live to dive again another day.

You could, however, safely go snorkeling if you just have to get in the water... as long as you don't descend, there's no danger of a reverse block if you stay on the surface... leave your dive gear at home.

The risk of lung injury (over-expansion, air embolism, etc.) is great diving with a cold.

While not recommended, a lot of people dive with mild colds. The Scubaboard, as a group, is so risk-averse I don't know how they get out of bed each morning. I agree with the cautions against diving with any sort of lung congestion, but if you have a stuffed-up nose that clears with Afrin, and if you can clear your ears easily (big "if"), then you can dive. Again, it is not recommended, but the dire warnings of imminent death are a little hysterical. If I have a cold on a liveaboard 10,000 miles and $10,000 dollars from home, I am going to dive if I can clear.

I think the opinion on whether to dive has been expressed here. I will however recomend a way to help kick colds early on before they get you. I use a neti pot daily with a little salt water. When I feel like a cold is comming on I go ahead and add a cap full of peroxide. It has both kept my sinus clear since I started but also I have not had a cold in over a year.

ok...no dive...! consenus here.... =( i guess better safe than sorry.

While not recommended, a lot of people dive with mild colds. The Scubaboard, as a group, is so risk-averse I don't know how they get out of bed each morning. I agree with the cautions against diving with any sort of lung congestion, but if you have a stuffed-up nose that clears with Afrin, and if you can clear your ears easily (big "if"), then you can dive. Again, it is not recommended, but the dire warnings of imminent death are a little hysterical. If I have a cold on a liveaboard 10,000 miles and $10,000 dollars from home, I am going to dive if I can clear.
That might be the answer he is asking :D

Back
Top Bottom