help with recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverite is a great value. The trans-pac is an awesome set-up know a few people that dive and have no problems with it. The Halcyon system is up there also, Myself G/F and few buddies all use the system with singles/doubles wings and they are great. They are more expensive but in opinon worth it. Plus the blue "H" looks cool lol. They're customer service is one more reason to spend the extra money. Never delt with DR but have to assume they are also right up there. As for Zeagle I have not seen or know anyone that dives them but they do seem to be popular units.

I have two oxycheq wings which work quite well although I have never tried ice diving.

If I had to do it all over again from what I have used and what I have seen:

Backplate - Steel by deep sea supply, although I can't say anything bad about my hammerhead
Wing - Singles oxycheq mach v, doubles oxycheq 50 lb dual bladder.
webbing - any weight belt webbing will do.
Crotch strap - dive rite
hardware - deep outdoors

Don't get any hardware from home depot or soft tubular webbing from some climbing store.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

A BP & wing was always my intention to buy so the guys that are trying to sell me to that, I have already been converted.

More so I was looking at anyone that could compare the zeagle vs halcyon vs oxycheq.

Also 80% off my diving will be in canadian summer and fall waters of 10*Celcius or so.

I would like to keep weight and price down to a minimum as it will let me take more gear and buy more gear on my budget.

Has anyone dove the zeagle? I tried it on the other day and found it exceedingly comfortable.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. I wait to hear more.

I like diving in Canadian lakes - there, I can practice my skills without the unwanted distraction of stunning scenery. :)

I can't compare zeagle vs halcyon vs oxycheq. However, based upon what I have read here on SB, many who can afford halcyon buy it, and (almost) everyone that buys halcyon loves it. If discussing wings only, more posts sing the virtues of the oxycheq Mach V than any other wing. Finally, those who begin with zeagle tend to stay with zeagle. I don't think that there is a bad choice in your field of candidates.

I believe that a SS BP is about 6# while an AL is about 2#, so the difference is not great. However, the difference will become most apparent: (1) in warm water; and (2) when Air Canada charges you for extra baggage weight. For reasons 1 and 2 I opted for AL.

A note on cold water diving - I did my one year of diving in a wetsuit in Waterton Lake. I finally got a drysuit and LOVE it - it is the single most expensive piece of gear I bought (I opted for a DUI TLS 350 Signature Series), and the piece of kit which makes me most happy. If you do get a drysuit and if you ever plan to dive in BC (beautiful) I would strongly recommend reinforced kneepads as shore entries over shell-encrusted rocks can be killer on the suit. Also, bellows pockets on the legs are awesome for putting gear into.

Back
Top Bottom