Hey FL divers; what the heck is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have the charts for that area? I would think that if it is shallow enough to see, it would show up as a hazard to navigation.

Oh i found this about 5 6 weeks ago i got bored but its i think 3 like barges lol i think if it is something else tell me and i will go explore.

Here's a NOAA chart of the area-- the structure doesn't appear to be there. In less than 20' of water you would think anything with some sort of relief would be listed as a hazard.

Also if you look northeast, about 1/4 mile from shore there are multiple dark squares about 150' wide, running north. Any ideas on what these things are?

Here's a NOAA chart of the area-- the structure doesn't appear to be there. In less than 20' of water you would think anything with some sort of relief would be listed as a hazard.

Also if you look northeast, about 1/4 mile from shore there are multiple dark squares about 150' wide, running north. Any ideas on what these things are?

Those are basic rock outcroppings. I vacation there almost every year and we swim out that far sometimes. At low tide, you can step on the rocks and it's eerie the first time or two until you realize what it is. What's weird about the rocks to me is the shape on GE. Never noticed that from a snorkel.

I think its the Indian Shores Reef
Pinellas County reef locations

Indian Shores Reef
Yellow buoy
Depth 44-46 feet N 27º - 51.691' W 083º - 01.817'

Two World War II Navy Landing Ships (LSMs) and a salt hopper barge mark this reef. The U.S. Navy Explosives Ordnance Disposal Team from Cecil Field Naval Air Station in Jacksonville filled the 200-foot plus LSMs with scrap cable and sunk it with explosives. One LSM can be found on the southern end of the reef, the second LSM near the center of the reef. A more recent addition, placed in 1984, is a 240-foot salt hopper barge. It rests in an inverted position southwest of the reef's north end.

I think its the Indian Shores Reef
Pinellas County reef locations

Indian Shores Reef
Yellow buoy
Depth 44-46 feet N 27º - 51.691' W 083º - 01.817'

Two World War II Navy Landing Ships (LSMs) and a salt hopper barge mark this reef. The U.S. Navy Explosives Ordnance Disposal Team from Cecil Field Naval Air Station in Jacksonville filled the 200-foot plus LSMs with scrap cable and sunk it with explosives. One LSM can be found on the southern end of the reef, the second LSM near the center of the reef. A more recent addition, placed in 1984, is a 240-foot salt hopper barge. It rests in an inverted position southwest of the reef's north end.

When I enter those coords in GE, it's 12 miles to the southwest. I don't think that's it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom