hitting head when using BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not get used to it? I'm not DIR, nor do I claim to be... I do still, however, agree with johnnythan on the issue.

I dive with an atomic z1 reg, and my first stage points downward, much like WaterDawg's scubapro. The problem isn't that the first stage is 'poking' anybody in the head, it's that when you look up (read: forward) the back of your head bumps it. It's not enough to bother me per se, but it was of small concern, which is why I talked to my instructor/dive buddy about it. His consensus was much the same as johnnythan's...

In closing, I still don't see the problem with getting used to it.. It's not like I'm getting used to a leaking inflator hose, or an overweighting problem...

Mel.B:
I have recently got a BP/W. This is the second time I have tried it and the first time I have used the crotch strap with it. Both times I am hitting my head on the 1st stage of my regs (Mares V16). I only have a short super steelie tank so I can't move the strap up and down a whole lot. I didn't have this problem when I used by regular back inflate BC with the super steelie tank, but I did if I use regular steel tanks that are longer. does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Mel, if a buddy of yours owns a single tank adapter (STA), give it a try. As noted, one reason your reg is hitting your head is that the BP locates the tank so close to the back of your head in the first place. A STA will set the tank further back, a much as 1" or more depending on who makes the STA, which may give you some relief.

Doc Intrepid:
Mel, if a buddy of yours owns a single tank adapter (STA), give it a try. As noted, one reason your reg is hitting your head is that the BP locates the tank so close to the back of your head in the first place. A STA will set the tank further back, a much as 1" or more depending on who makes the STA, which may give you some relief.
I went to an STA specifically because I could keep my tank high enough to reach the valve without it banging into my head constantly.

It's really tough to find a place to have the tank high enough to reach the valve without you being able to hit it with your head.

A couple thoughts:

1) Doubles! Regs are on either side of your head!

2) This ones a little less conventional; I have a very hard time reaching my valve on a single, (short arms, range of motion etc) I don't mount my tank with the valve facing directly at the back of my head. I rotate it slightly, ~20 degrees, CCW as view from the top. This has the effect of bringing the valve closer to my hand, and offsets the reg slightly. Depending on the reg, this may effect hose routing, but it's never been a problem for me. The advantage of this is that it is free, nothing new to buy.

Good Luck,

Tobin

I use a Hammerhead plate. I drop the plate to the lowest holes and push the tank down until the upper strap is right below the shoulder. The lower strap all by it self is capable of holding the tank should the upper slip--which has never happened anyway. This gets the tank down where it belongs. People now wear their tanks way high. I have seen valves sitting neck and even head high on a standing diver. Maybe this is DIR or maybe not but I see no reson for it overall so feel free to drop the tank lower. In the original and right days tanks were worn very low with the valve centered between the shoulder blades and not up around the neck. No wonder helmets are the fashion all of a sudden. N

Nemrod:
I use a Hammerhead plate. I drop the plate to the lowest holes and push the tank down until the upper strap is right below the shoulder. The lower strap all by it self is capable of holding the tank should the upper slip--which has never happened anyway. This gets the tank down where it belongs. People now wear their tanks way high. I have seen valves sitting neck and even head high on a standing diver. Maybe this is DIR or maybe not but I see no reson for it overall so feel free to drop the tank lower. In the original and right days tanks were worn very low with the valve centered between the shoulder blades and not up around the neck. No wonder helmets are the fashion all of a sudden. N

My experience is just the opposite. Most of the divers that I see have their tanks WAY too low. I can't stand to see tanks hanging down on someone's rear-end. You'd probably want to shoot me, Nemrod...I teach my students to adjust their tank for trim and so that they can reach their valves easily while in a horizontal position. "Raise your tank...higher...there ya go...", says I.

Nemrod:

My reasons for wearing my tank high are : Valve access, and trim. Much more important to me to be able to reach my valve that the occassional head bump.

Can you cycle your valve with the tank valve between your shoulder blades?

Tobin

Thanks for all the replies. I'd rather not 'get used to it' as I can barely move my head with the way it is at the moment. I'm going to see if I can track down a STA and if not, I'll try mattboy's suggestion.

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom