hitting head when using BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel, maybe you should try my idea first. The STA will change your trim and move the tank away from your back, maybe that's good, maybe not. My idea will work, costs nothing, and the tank is still nice and tight to your back. If you don't like it, then get the STA. I have one of the jet harness plates; flat as a pancake...so the tank is really in tight. At first I thought I had made a mistake buying it due to the tank hitting my head, but when I turned the tank around, it worked great. Plus, in my case it helped with the hose length for my primary, as the position of the 1st stage with a BP usually means there's less distance to your mouth and the hose felt a few inches too long. (pushing the 2nd stage to the left) With the reg barrel on the other side of the tank, the hose length is perfect.

i have the same problem with my eclipse. i wanted to lower the tanks a bit but you are limited by the top cam band. its ok you kinda get used to it and as jonny says, you can reach your valves in the back.

mattboy:
There's a very easy fix for this which I did; just turn the tank around so the reg barrel is on the far side of the tank.

No offense intended, but I think that this is a BAD idea.

Stephen Ash:
No offense intended, but I think that this is a BAD idea.
I agree.

I have either become used to it to the point of no longer noticing or because of the way I'm set up it's just not much of an issue.

But, I've always used a STA and with the exception of one DSS plate all of my plates have some significant bend to 'em...my FredT plate, especially. I also use DIN DS4s and occasionally some old yolk Seaquest XR2s. Both of these have very low profiles.

Nevertheless, unless the first stage is pushing hard into the back of your head, I would suggest, like Jonnythan, that you dive with it for a while. It's likely that you'll forget that it's there.

If it is pushing hard, then I think you are going to have to consider a STA. Another approach...which you probably won't like but WOULD solve the problem...would be to get a different reg...and maybe even a different plate. I know...that's sounds a bit extreme...but the fact is...some setups are just better than some others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom