HOLLIS. Advanced Dive Gear with No Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter:
So whats the range of the new BP/W?

at OzTek in March there was a Hollis stand and i saw a number of different sized wings - only saw the doubles as the singles werent available at the time

almitywife:
at OzTek in March there was a Hollis stand and i saw a number of different sized wings - only saw the doubles as the singles werent available at the time

Oh, I thought maybe they were limited to 1000m (laterally, not depth)....thats about all I get out of my BP/W per dive...unless its a drift dive. :wink:

Well, I've played a little (dry only) with some of the gear. Very nice looking, and seems to be a good range covering singles to very heavy dual bladder doubles. Also saw lifebags/SMBs and some other peripheral bits. I head that there will be lots of other bits.

A year or so back I did an interview on The Surface Interval Show podcast with Bob Hollis, in which he "pre-announced" the Hollis Gear range. May be worth a listen.

The tech comunity that this line seems to be targeted toward is much more into servicing their own gear ,than the recreational diving community. Will Hollis gear be support with parts sales to the end users and access to service documentation?

Fantastic to see that things are at last progressing on the Hollis Tech range.
So when do we get a look at these new toys?
Will there be a website any time soon where we can have a look over the range?

Otter:
Oh, I thought maybe they were limited to 1000m (laterally, not depth)....thats about all I get out of my BP/W per dive...unless its a drift dive. :wink:
Swim harder or get a scooter..:D

awap:
The tech comunity that this line seems to be targeted toward is much more into servicing their own gear ,than the recreational diving community. Will Hollis gear be support with parts sales to the end users and access to service documentation?
Hehehehehe, my guess is no. Look at it this way. Consumables are the gravy of the HW industry. Look at the printer makers. Printers are dirt cheap, sold at a loss. But they get you back 10 fold over the life of the printer by the sale of the ink cartridges.

Selling regs at a nice price point, not to high and not too low (too low would emotionally indicate lower quality) and then make up for loss and margins through servicing and parts.

Then there is liability.... even though you could service things yourself, I am sure some one would argue that their loved one who just died at depth from a failed reg that he/she serviced themselves, should not have been allowed to do so. The manufacturer knew that it was dangerous, but let the consumer work on it. A jury would not know the ins and outs of what it takes, all they see is a dead diver and a major manufacturer stepping away from their perceived responsibility. Even IF there was no conviction.... no manufacturer wants to have that bad press, bad press in this instance means lower sales.

Meng_Tze:
Hehehehehe, my guess is no. Look at it this way. Consumables are the gravy of the HW industry. Look at the printer makers. Printers are dirt cheap, sold at a loss. But they get you back 10 fold over the life of the printer by the sale of the ink cartridges.

Selling regs at a nice price point, not to high and not too low (too low would emotionally indicate lower quality) and then make up for loss and margins through servicing and parts.

Then there is liability.... even though you could service things yourself, I am sure some one would argue that their loved one who just died at depth from a failed reg that he/she serviced themselves, should not have been allowed to do so. The manufacturer knew that it was dangerous, but let the consumer work on it. A jury would not know the ins and outs of what it takes, all they see is a dead diver and a major manufacturer stepping away from their perceived responsibility. Even IF there was no conviction.... no manufacturer wants to have that bad press, bad press in this instance means lower sales.

Eagerly awaiting the response from Hollis, but I suspect that the general reason why the industry shy's away from 'self service' is economic vs. liability. Consider this, where is there more liability/risk -- allowing someone to service their own regulator OR allowing someone to do their own brake job on their car?

Meng_Tze:

Yes, liability must be the problem. That is why all the auto parts stores are going out of business. And the few reg mfgrs and shops for other brands who are willing to sell parts are getting their *****e$ sued off ---- NOT. The main problem is the $50 to $150 annual rent due the reapir facility.

Perhaps the concept of "no limits" is limited.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom