HOLLIS. Advanced Dive Gear with No Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive oceanic regs but am also an oceanic tech. Only thing is I have to service the regs at the shop. Have to get the parts thru the shop. Funny thing is that even though they are the same company I can't service Aeris under warranty. If I moved to an Aeris shop I'd have to take the Aeris course. I imagine Hollis will be the same. BTW glad I did not wait the two years it took from the time I heard about this to get started in tech. They missed out on a BIG chunk of my money. 2 BPW set ups, manifold and bands for two sets of doubles, cannister light etc.

This will be interesting....

I love my oceanic gear, but lets not kid ourselves the Aeris stuff is just a way of selling more of the same gear but in a slight different style and colour - will this be the same but with Oceanic having hand downs from Hollis stuff?

Still looking forward it seeing the new kit mind...

Hi Everyone,

In regards to self service, we appreciate the attention to this issue. Happy to share that we have also addressed this but are still exploring all options available.

The convenience of servicing your own gear, especially in the tech community is a big plus. But consider the overall safety of everyone in the water and not just the liability involved.

Any further suggestions regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick Hollis:
Hi Everyone,

In regards to self service, we appreciate the attention to this issue. Happy to share that we have also addressed this but are still exploring all options available.

The convenience of servicing your own gear, especially in the tech community is a big plus. But consider the overall safety of everyone in the water and not just the liability involved.

Any further suggestions regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

While I'm sure liability is a consideration, I think it is mostly a red herring to avoid the real issues. Unfortunately, much of scuba marketing policy is designed to surpress and avoid competition. There really are not that many divers who would opt to service their own gear even if parts were readily available. I suspect the real problem is that if parts were generally available, without reasonable limitations, then independent techs would bury the service business of the many LDSs that just do sloppy slow work and get away with it because they have a local monopoly.

As I understand it, the Oceanic dealer agreement restricts the sale of parts to divers in the same way it restricts retail prices. Other mfgrs do no have such restrictions in their agreements but most shops refuse to sell parts as it seems to be the industry norm. A few shops don't follow that norm and some others do what theyt have to to satisfy customers in spite of dealer agreements.

Times are changing. Are you going to lead, follow, or stand in the way?

TheTrickster:
This will be interesting....

I love my oceanic gear, but lets not kid ourselves the Aeris stuff is just a way of selling more of the same gear but in a slight different style and colour - will this be the same but with Oceanic having hand downs from Hollis stuff?

Still looking forward it seeing the new kit mind...

This is a completely different line of products; many of which are designed for the technical market. Therefore, you wont see any big similarities between Aeris/Oceanic and Hollis. However, we will have some crossover products pressing into the recreational side as well. Many of which of different "style and color".

Thanks

awap:
There really are not that many divers who would opt to service their own gear even if parts were readily available.
Pretty much ever diver I know with a technical persuasion services there own regs. I certainly wont let anyone else touch mine....
We all buy our service kits from the grey market:wink:

Servicing regs is really not rocket science. It amazes me that the consumers have put up with the fact that the manufacturers are so protective. People don't think twice about servicing their cars and replacing brakes. That's certainly a lot more complicated and deadly than a regulator which only has one adjustment on the first stage and two on the second.

I'm certainly not what many people would call "mechanically inclined", but I can pull apart and reassemble a regulator with no issue. It's tab-a, slot-b type stuff. All you need are a few tools and an IP gauge.

Otter:
Oh, I thought maybe they were limited to 1000m (laterally, not depth)....thats about all I get out of my BP/W per dive...unless its a drift dive. :wink:
I am not a BP/W diver and this comment really confuses me. Would some one care to explain what 'limit' are we talking about here?

Thanks,

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom