Home Remedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use toothpaste before I leave for a trip, and in between dives I just hock some loogie into my mask, rub it around, and then rinse it in seawater.

Another important thing to note is that if your mask fogs all the time, it is either leaky, was not prepped, or you are breathing via your nose. It took me like 25 dives to figure that out. That's why all the crusty old divers only use spit or toothpaste, because if you are truly breathing from your mouth alone, then it is all you need.

BTW communal rinse tanks, snot, and eye boogers build character. Only nancies worry about that stuff. :D

Then again you could always spend 10 bucks and get some seal blubber gold or whatever it is. You can buy it when you get your 10 dollar tank banger and your 5 dollar octo keeper. :D

I have a theory about mask fogging- Since most plastics outgas continuously, I believe that modern masks fog more because they are picking up the platicizers from the hard mask cases. They do the same thing that car dashboards do that creates the hazy film on the inside of your car windshield. This gives the moisture something to adhere to. Thats why toothpaste before dives would work. Otherwise there really isn't anything on glass that should cause your mask to fog.

So I'm curious how many of you that have mast fogging probelms keep your masks in a plastic case?

and BTW-
Y'all may resume the touting of $9 a bottle Mask Defog made from Sweat scarped gently from the Inner Thighs of Virgin Swedish Dive Mistresses
At $9 its a steal!

I have a theory about mask fogging- Since most plastics outgas continuously, I believe that modern masks fog more because they are picking up the platicizers from the hard mask cases. They do the same thing that car dashboards do that creates the hazy film on the inside of your car windshield. This gives the moisture something to adhere to. Thats why toothpaste before dives would work. Otherwise there really isn't anything on glass that should cause your mask to fog.

So I'm curious how many of you that have mast fogging probelms keep your masks in a plastic case?

and BTW- At $9 its a steal!

I have like 6 masks in my closet, all of which are stored in their respective plastic cases. Some (like my oval) have rubber skirts, some silicone skirts. I personally have never had a problem with them fogging if that helps at all, and all I do is do the toothpaste and spit method described by me in the above post. FWIW the dash in my VW does exactly what you describe.

I have tried every defog out there.

500 PSI works the best.

Sea Drops is a close second.

Spit works but not for very long, doesn't last for a whole dive.

Last edited:
I have like 6 masks in my closet, all of which are stored in their respective plastic cases. Some (like my oval) have rubber skirts, some silicone skirts. I personally have never had a problem with them fogging if that helps at all, and all I do is do the toothpaste and spit method described by me in the above post. FWIW the dash in my VW does exactly what you describe.

Thanks. Have you ever forgotten to clean a mask, then noticed it fogging more than when you do clean them?

The Sea Drops Gold works really well for me, across multiple dives without reapplication. If people find that spit or shampoo works better that's great, but if not, I don't see why you'd go to the trouble to save $5.50. One bottle can last me a year, or about 75 dives.

Mcnett Sea Gold Anti-Fog Gel, 1.25 oz.

There was a treatment I tried (required once in a while or before each dive trip) that was absolutely brilliant. However, it's been a few years and I haven't been able to find it too easily since. It's called Catcrap and maybe you can find it where you find motorcycle helmets.

However, the question involved home made cheap remedies and for me, dishwashing liquid works very effectively.

In nearly 25 years of (certified) diving and even longer snorkelling I've only ever used saliva*. It works through the whole dive and I've never known anyone contract an eye infection either through diving or using a communal mask bucket.

In fact, now I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a UK diveboat use any form of commercial defogger, it's always saliva. Now either us Brits have spit with particularly strong anti-fog properties or you're all being taken for mugs buying the commercial stuff:wink:

*I was given Mickey's Spit once, on a dive at Epcot.

I also use a baby shampoo solution in a spray bottle for defog. Toothpaste is an effective cleaner for new masks to remove the residue from the manufacturing process. I also have been known to use a paste made from baking soda and dish soap to clean my lenses.

There was a treatment I tried (required once in a while or before each dive trip) that was absolutely brilliant. However, it's been a few years and I haven't been able to find it too easily since. It's called Catcrap and maybe you can find it where you find motorcycle helmets.

500 PSI appears identical to Cat Crap, except 500 PSI is a little thinner.

Cat Crap is a paste and 500 PSI is more of a gel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom