Hot Olive oil inside your wetsuit / drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have on occasion put warm olive oil on my body, and/or that of another, but wet suits and scuba diving were not apart of those adventures. A pleasure almost as great was a liveaboard trip where at the conclusion of every night dive a crew member poured warm water down the back of the diver's wet suit, handed them a cup of hot chocolate, and a warm towel. (but no olive oil.)
DivemasterDennis

Warm bacon fat would have the advantage of setting up and really blocking the water flow once the cold got to it. And besides, everything is better with bacon.

As bizarre as it may sound, the theory behind this was that there is a certain type of (cooking) oil which is fairly difficult to get rid of if you get your hands greasy. You would need very hold water to sort of melt it away from your hands and then use soap. If this oil is heated and applied to your body before sliding into a wetsuit then it creates a sticky layer which sticks to the body more than trapped water. If wetsuits work by trapping a thin layer of water between your skin and the neoprene then trapping a layer of oil is supposed to be easier for them.

I do not think it would work under a drysuit but it should work under gloves and hood while diving dry. I have never felt cold in the head area with hoods but I have found that under forty degrees I have to constantly move my fingers or my hand could go limp with cold.

Do a little experiment. Take a bucket of ice water. Heat some cooking oil (any oil but the stickier the oil, the better. I used olive oil because that is what I cook in). Apply it on one hand and wear a 3mm neoprene wet-glove or semi dry glove. The other hand should be placed in the glove without the oil. Now put both hands in the ice bucket and see which one gets colder after 5 minutes.

As bizarre as it may sound, the theory behind this was that there is a certain type of (cooking) oil which is fairly difficult to get rid of if you get your hands greasy. You would need very hold water to sort of melt it away from your hands and then use soap. If this oil is heated and applied to your body before sliding into a wetsuit then it creates a sticky layer which sticks to the body more than trapped water. If wetsuits work by trapping a thin layer of water between your skin and the neoprene then trapping a layer of oil is supposed to be easier for them.

I do not think it would work under a drysuit but it should work under gloves and hood while diving dry. I have never felt cold in the head area with hoods but I have found that under forty degrees I have to constantly move my fingers or my hand could go limp with cold.

Do a little experiment. Take a bucket of ice water. Heat some cooking oil (any oil but the stickier the oil, the better. I used olive oil because that is what I cook in). Apply it on one hand and wear a 3mm neoprene wet-glove or semi dry glove. The other hand should be placed in the glove without the oil. Now put both hands in the ice bucket and see which one gets colder after 5 minutes.

You ARE bored, aren't you? :D

Warm bacon fat would have the advantage of setting up and really blocking the water flow once the cold got to it. And besides, everything is better with bacon.

That would actually work and completely block water flow in the wetsuit once it hardens.

Although "everything tastes better with bacon" I don't believe I want that to include "me".

133213.jpg

Channeling Burt Reynolds in Striptease?

:rofl3:

The skin has a natural layer of fat protecting it from the elements. I at least feel better outdoors if I have not washed my face ultra clean just minutes prior to exposing it to freezing temperatures. So fat, or oil, on the skin may actually help where the skin is exposed to wind or water. It may or may not work, I remain skeptic, but I assume that it might be most helpfull on the face.

Coming soon, to a dive site near you:

ohgodno.jpg

I don't know if the oil helps or not to keep the cold away and don't intend to find out, I would not recommend using any cooking oils as they will become rancid over time and will make you sick and will stink which will be almost impossible to get out of anything they come on contact with.

If it works then use a food grade white oil (paraffin) which is much cheaper and can be purchased in bulk and put into a spray bottle to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom