Hot Olive oil inside your wetsuit / drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to do those "Frozen Fin" dives on New Years day and I was going into 36 F/ 2C water with a 1/4" farmer John and a hooded chicken vest, only would last 20 minutes or so before being forced out of the water. This was back in the 1980s, when diving dry was beyond the realm of most sport divers. Fortunately I have out grown the need for that particular activity. These days I have a dive skin for wetsuit diving in early in the season, and the hot water going into the suit before going into the water prevents the burning cold water from reaching my family jewels (the absolute worst part of those cold water dives). I also had someone suggest putting two chemical hand warmers in the wetsuit over my kidneys. When spring hits this year I will give the hand warmers a try. The oil in the wet glove idea sounds intriguing, my daughter suggested instead of using olive oil, mineral oil might work better, because it won't go rancid, but I won't be the one to test that out.

The Days are getting longer... Dive season is approaching.

Back
Top Bottom