How are you going to spend 9/11/02?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I know what I won't be doing. I won't be doing what I did last September 11. I won't be leaning out the window of my office on 8th Avenue staring at the smoke from the burning towers and the steady stream of people walking uptown with tears running down my cheeks and a paper cup full of tequila in my hand.

I am going to spend tomorrow focusing on the future, rather than wallowing in the horror of the past. I won't read the newspapers and I won't turn on the TV. I will get up, go to work, and avoid any public gatherings that might be a target for terror attacks.

We here in NZ are the first to see the day and our police and fire depts sent a delegation to the US embassy for a dawn raising of the US colours and our parliment raised the US flag in support. Some NY firemen are over here and they met with our Prime Minister and viewed our flag which was returned to us by the NYFD from ground zero.It was recovered in the rubble.
Like you I suppose, we have seen tribute shows and interviews and it tends to bring it all out and people are still crying. There were a few lucky kiwis who got out of the building and one that was late for a meeting at the top of Tower 1 who got stuck in traffic luckily. I myself will just be reflective and hope this never happens again. Kind regards to all my friends in Uncle Sam land.
You know who...
Gasman

To the original poster for reminding us about the events that happened a year ago. To my younger brother whom I haven't seen in several years since Bosnia, I'm sure he's in Afghanistan these days (I miss you man). To our Canadian brethrens who opened up their hearts and houses for those who were stranded when no planes were allowed to fly/land inside the US of A. To the rest of the world for their prayers and sympathies. To this close-knit diving community for being our friends when we needed one. To those in public service - your sacrifices are very much appreciated.

I have organized a big group to go to church today during our lunch break. Now it's time to get back to work to help keep this economy going. Peace to all and safe diving.

DanBo

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that
something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon

It's 8:15 in Manhattan and sirens are blaring outside my window on their way up 3rd Avenue. I wish I could get rid of the tightness in my belly I feel every time I hear that sound. A year ago I didn't know what fear was.

...sitting in my office on Pennsylvania Avenue and not much is going on. Lots of roads are closed for services this morning/afternoon and the train was a little quieter than usual, but other than that pretty much business as usual.

Nicodaemos : Good link. I filled one out too.
Gasman:
Good to see you sign in. Where have you been? Thanks for the kind words from NZ, my dream place.
Ravi:
and O ring: Thanks for the live updates.
Keep them coming.
Danbo : Enjoy your time at church today. Great idea.

Thank you everyone for your post and thoughts. This morning I could not get past the sadness and the images from a year ago.

With no plan in mind, I decided to find a church and spend some time praying. As someone who grew up in the church but hasn't attended in a long time I didn't have any purposeful direction but knew of a couple churches near by. I found a Catholic church that had a special mass this morning. I cried, prayed, joined in the singing. I feel like a weight has been lifted from me and I am ready for whatever the new days ahead shall bring.

To those special Men and Women who gave so much, thank you. To those who lost someone special you have my heartfelt sympathy. To those who protect us, both here in America and where ever duty calls, thank you. To those who caused such sorrow and tragedy, may God have mercy on your souls. And to all of us whom this tragedy touched may we never forget the sorrow and use it to make this world a better place.

Ty

You know, I knew that yesterday was the 10th , and that today would be the 11th, and didn't expect it to impact me too much. I was in Dallas last year on the 11th, in training that was cancled due to lack of an instructor when the airline industry was shut down. Me and another fellow spent 22 1/2 hours driving back to Michigan. I thought that I had excaped the entire 9/11 issue,as we had moved from Washington DC about 7 years ago.

Then today, after sitting in front of the TV for just a very few minutes this morning at 7:00, and then listening to the radio on the way into my office, I found my eyes tearing and really feeling miserable. Perhaps I didn't escape the 9/11 attack after all????

So I sit here and reflect on the past 12 months and look at the way we have let the bastards affect our way of life, with suffering markets and tightened security everywhere... and I realize that there is very little that I can contribute to change it all. Perhaps I'll stop and sit by the river for a little while on the way home and reflect a little more......I can't join back up, too darn old. Besides, that 7 years I was in was plenty for me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom