How cold will you dive wet?

How Cold Are You Comfortable Diving Wet?

• 40 F / 4 C

Votes: 69 23.9%
  • 50 F / 10 C

Votes: 102 35.3%
  • 60 F / 16 C

Votes: 52 18.0%
  • 70 F / 21 C

Votes: 28 9.7%
  • If it isn't tropical, I go dry

Votes: 38 13.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm good down to 48 degrees in my tattered wetsuit. Any colder and I opt for a nice hot toddy topside!

2 piece 7mm in 38F water. Sounds worse than it is. Surface intervals are a little cold but nothing a thick coat won't help with. It also doesn't hurt to start by pouring a gallon jug of warm water down your suit before entering.

drbill:
I'm good down to 48 degrees in my tattered wetsuit. Any colder and I opt for a nice hot toddy topside!
For gosh sake, get a new suit...or several...you will so more spiffier in something with color and we will not have to hear your worn wetsuit "issues"

5mm to 10C - as long as I have access to a hot shower after the dive.

5mm to 10C - as long as I have access to a hot shower after the dive. (normal in Japan in winter where I dive!)

Nudgeroni:
A lot of folks strongly advocate for diving dry, but for those of you diving wet, how cold will you go? I ask being a new diver in New England, wondering what kind of season I could get out of a wetsuit (while I save up for a drysuit).

So...

How cold are you comfortable diving wet?

I selected the 40*F, but only because you didn't offer a colder option. I have dove wet at 36* down to 65 feet for about 40 minutes. I then followed that with a dive on the same profile dry, and did not notice a significant difference in comfort between the two dives.

The part I notice in diving wet is not the temp of the water, but the conditions on the surface interval. New Years Day I have only been able to do one dive in the past, because I got chilled during the SI and could not get the cold wetsuit back on.

Now that I have a dry suit, I'll be able to do more diving in winter, because I should be able to stay warmer during the SI, not because of any difference once in the water.

I'm in the 60's....sorry. My preference is the warm, big blue...with no wetsuit or maybe just a skin. But, living in Ohio, I have to do what I have to do...no dry suit yet, so it's cold water if I want to dive before June and after September!

Dive a 7mm semi dry, have gone in the 40's and dipped a few times in the high 30's. Not too bad, I tend to be alittle warmer blooded than my buddies though.
Just got measured for drysuit yesterday for the dive team, suspect I will want to go dry more.Nice to finally get some more funding....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom