How do you avoid your second stage regs..... from getting scratched?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One can use simple home-made coozies (neoprene) or dive socks or whatever to carefully package regs in dive bags for trips, but once in use on the boat/shore, some level of 'abuse' is inevitable ('helpful' boat crews dragging regs across decks, or 2nd-stages smacking boat benches, 2nd-stages smacking into one another, etc.,) so avoid obvious foolishness (like spending $ 2000 plus on titanium 'bling' regs that feel like you just scratched your new Ferarri if they get scuffed up) and learn to live with some reasonable level of wear-and-tear cosmetically.

scratches? we don't need no stinkin' scratches!

but seriously. what are you doing with your gear to scratch the crap out of it? sounds like
laziness, inattention or abuse to me?

i continued to be amazed at how poorly people treat their gear. it will take a beating. but that is no reason to try to beat the crap out of it.

i have purchased used cameras that had dints in the case (carefully not revealed in the pics) and not purchased used regs that looked like they were dragged behind a truck. how did this happen? what was the owner thinking?

your first question should be: how did this get scratched? what did i do wrong?

i am not saying that your gear should be pristine, but why not?

Dangling hoses are certainly one way to get them scratched, but I'll assume yours are clipped off. Being someone who dives rocky shores and scrunches into nooks and crannies in the reef to get the video shot I want, I've never really worried about cosmetic scratches on my gear (or my succession of "holy" wetsuits).

I store my reg in a regulator bag so it's not getting thrown around in my dive bag, I'm sure that helps eliminate some potential scratches (I just like to stay organized). When I change tanks I just hold on to it, or throw it over my shoulder. No reason to let it get throw around. I've dropped it a few times, and no biggie really, as long as I don't damage it!

Back
Top Bottom