How do you dive this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello peeps:

I always fantasize about diving the Hudson Bay. Since it is so up north, most of the places do not even have road access! correct? I was wondering if it would be possible to rent a boat from Moosonee, Attawapsikat etc. Is there any way to transport tanks and compressor up there?

Please let me know your thoughts / suggestions. Its a huge lovely swimming pool up there with cool wildlife.

Regards -

Sinbad.

Hello peeps:

I always fantasize about diving the Hudson Bay. Since it is so up north, most of the places do not even have road access! correct? I was wondering if it would be possible to rent a boat from Moosonee, Attawapsikat etc. Is there any way to transport tanks and compressor up there?

Please let me know your thoughts / suggestions. Its a huge lovely swimming pool up there with cool wildlife.

Regards -

Sinbad.

You are correct about the road access....but there is a train (The Polar Bear Express) that runs from the town of Cochrane to Moosonee. I live a couple hours south of Cochrane, so let me know if I can help.

As an alternative, you might give some thought to Churchill, Manitoba. Still a train ride to get there, but they also have an airport and are much better set up for tourists. Very popular spot for polar bear watching.

Thanks so much for the info guys. I believe James Bay can make a very good dive if we can get enough people to justify taking a compressor and some tanks. The area seems to be unexplored, there is a lot of potential for scuba.

I'd dive James Bay. But then again, the list of places I would not want to dive is non-existent today but will never get long I am sure. The Arctic Kingdom looks like an amazing trip as well....from the photographer wannabe in me.

So who is scheduling this trip? I just checked and it is only about a 17.5 hour drive for me to Waskaganish, Ontario. We could catch a boat form there :D. Anybody wanna carpool?

Not sure that Waskaganish is actually in Ontario.....but I'm only 10 hours away so pick me up on the way by :D

Not sure that Waskaganish is actually in Ontario.....but I'm only 10 hours away so pick me up on the way by :D

My bad....QC :doh:

Last edited:
So who is scheduling this trip? I just checked and it is only about a 17.5 hour drive for me to Waskaganish, Ontario. We could catch a boat form there :D. Anybody wanna carpool?

How is it a "drive" from your place? I read all over that there are no roads that take you there. I was actually considering putting a compressor and tanks of the train but that would take a good 4 days to get us there.

How is it a "drive" from your place? I read all over that there are no roads that take you there. I was actually considering putting a compressor and tanks of the train but that would take a good 4 days to get us there.

Moosonee on the Ontario side has no road into it......I looked for a place I could (seemingly anyway) drive into. That is why I landed on the place I did. It is possible the roads are summer only :idk:. I would definitely work on a trip like this. FWIW, the train to Moosonee from Cochrane is very reasonable ($$).

http://goo.gl/maps/fV99L (Google Maps route)

---------- Post Merged at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:05 AM ----------

FWIW, it looks like the James Bay Highway on the QC side of James Bay has exits every 100km or so for roads that will take you to a James Bay shore town. I have no idea what the conditions of the roads are but driving the QC does in fact seem possible. That highway seems to end around Radisson, QC about 3/4 of the way up James Bay.

Ontario.....it seems that is the problem side. No roads seem to lead to the water's edge.

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Interesting site......

http://jamesbayroad.com/index.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom