How do you dive this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depths are in meters

1). I have spoken to a few media channels here and one international television network has agreed to provide media coverage for this. They are willing to provide us with a television camera, an underwater HD pro camera and editing facilities as long as they own the footage filmed from their equipment. They are offering media coverage a lot of countries in many different languages as well.

I am willing to make a media-expedition out of this. I suggest we make an email group of all those who are serious about doing this so that we can share each others research.

I am trying to figure this out. Why exactly is the media wanting anything from this? What about James Bay is "news worthy" from a group of divers? I am all for it in theory (they should cover the costs of the rental trucks that would be required to get all our gear there :wink: and the cost of the charter) but think we need to know who is expecting what. I was thinking this was just a trip to dive somewhere new. Nothing changes my outlook because whether it happens or not I enjoy looking into it. It actually is something I would love to do which is why I have actually been researching it.

I am trying to figure this out. Why exactly is the media wanting anything from this? What about James Bay is "news worthy" from a group of divers? I am all for it in theory (they should cover the costs of the rental trucks that would be required to get all our gear there :wink: and the cost of the charter) but think we need to know who is expecting what. I was thinking this was just a trip to dive somewhere new. Nothing changes my outlook because whether it happens or not I enjoy looking into it. It actually is something I would love to do which is why I have actually been researching it.

Good question.

James Bay diving is not "breaking news" by any standard. Instead it will be what runs after breaking news as a "feature-story" or a "life style" story. These stories are short magazine style pieces that are meant to introduce TV audience to interesting characters, take them to interesting destinations and give interesting insights into anything unusual. These are also called "evergreens" because while hard news stories become old and out-dated the next day, Evergreen stories can go on air even after a few months and would retain relevance. On any slow day when news producers don't have enough breaking news to form a half hour bulletin, they pull out these evergreens and fill the show with them. Since hard news remains the same on every TV channel, nowadays major competition between TV channels has come down to which channel produces better Evergreen programming. Thus it is the evergreen feature that tends to drive news bulletins forward and makes one TV channel different from the other. In this regard it is evolving to be the "priority programming."

I totally agree that TV channels should pay for expenses such as transportation, accommodation, meal allowance etc. A few years ago, if they liked your pitch they would pay for all of that. Ever since our cell phones began to record High def video, there are millions of folks out there who are shooting broadcast quality videos with cell phones and sending them to TV channels, totally free of charge (citizen journalists). This lot has destroyed market for professional producers because on any given day, newsrooms are so flooded with interesting videos that come from all parts of the world that there is no need for them to pay anyone anything :(

I was just contacted by the Search & Rescue group in Eastmain. They travel a lot but will be able to answer many of my questions over the next month or so (and forward).

Nautical charts for James and Rupert bays arrived today.

I'm planning on ordering a set as well, if he can't I'll see if I can when they get in.

They are not small.....rough dims = 32" x 48". James Bay is shallow. This will have an impact.....these depths are in fathoms....1 fathom = 6 feet

EastmainWaters.jpg

EastmainWaters.jpg picture by smccrodan - Photobucket

That link is to the full size picture. Again, these are in fathoms so you need to travel some distance to get depth. Not necessarily a huge issue depending on what I find out is there from the Search and Rescue divers.....the adventure continues.

---------- Post Merged at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Here is a shot from the Rupert Bay chart....same huge page so this is the mouth and is in FEET.....

MouthofRupertBay.jpg

http://s211.beta.photobucket.com/user/smccrodan/media/MouthofRupertBay.jpg.html

Last edited:
Steve: Any info on the temperature at depth during mid July time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom