How do you dive this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point of reference on Rupert Bay.......it is roughly a 18 mile boat ride to the east side of Stag Island.....

---------- Post Merged at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Steve: Any info on the temperature at depth during mid July time?

June - in Waskaganish

In June, for the nearest coastal location, the temperature of the sea averages around 3°C, that's 37° Fahrenheit.

July - in Waskaganish

In July, for the nearest coastal location, the temperature of the sea averages around 6°C, that's 43° Fahrenheit.

Go up to Eastmain and that drops by a degree C or so. I do not know about Wemindji or Chisasibi yet.

Just something to add to this, coastal James Bay is VERY shallow so I suspect it will be much warmer than where I would expect to dive where there is some depth. But I am seeking first hand info here.

June - in Waskaganish

In June, for the nearest coastal location, the temperature of the sea averages around 3°C, that's 37° Fahrenheit.

July - in Waskaganish

In July, for the nearest coastal location, the temperature of the sea averages around 6°C, that's 43° Fahrenheit.

Go up to Eastmain and that drops by a degree C or so. I do not know about Wemindji or Chisasibi yet.

Say hello to what is considered your Waskaganish dive boat.......the camo boat in the front is a 23' Geeman boat, and the one in back is a cargo Geeman boat.

2012  Geeman 23 foot 001.jpg

Say hello to what is considered your Waskaganish dive boat.......the camo boat in the front is a 23' Geeman boat, and the one in back is a cargo Geeman boat.

View attachment 142312

Wonderful steve. Where did you get this picture? Did they send it to you from up there?

Yes. That came from the head of Waskaganish Tourism.

One major problem solved. Now it is just a matter of dragging some filled tanks up there by road and we have an expedition!!!

What is your projected date for this wee excursion?

I'd love to get back up to the near arctic again. (Spent some time up there in Igloolik in a tent in mid December in '91 or '92 with the army.)

July is when the snow has all melted and the temperature will be over 40.

I would personally be looking for a trip like this to be happening late May early June....2014 earliest for me.

This area is nowhere near the arctic. For reference, Waskaganish (the lowest of the 4 options on James Bay) is only a couple of miles father north than Calgary. And Chisasibi (the northern most option on James Bay) is only a couple of miles farther north than Edmonton.

Back
Top Bottom