How do you stay warm on a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue with thick undergarnment is, that it will increase the air trapped in your drysuit. Therefore, at least when having to take decostops, they are fairly uncomfortable, as either you dive overweighted or you get cold when taking the decostop in shallow water.

This really should not be the case. You should never have to dive OVERweighted just to be warm. Obviously, the more buoyant your gear (altogether), the more weight you will have to carry. This applies to layers of insulative undergarments or neoprene. With advancements in technology, and fabric, clothing design, etc, there are many undergarments on the market whose design and material allows them to provide exceptional warmth with respect to their buoyant value. Even outside of spending $300 on an undergarment, silk long underwear provides very little buoyant value in exchange for exceptional warmth. It's the same stuff many mountaineers use, although many find it TOO warm because of their exertion factor. For cold water diving, it works perfectly under either drysuit or wetsuit as it insulates even when wet

On the flip side, if your drysuit floods, and you freeze, one potential cause could be that you foolishly chose to wear cotton. I've seen this happen, and seen old school divers/outdoorsmen buck the advice that modern knowledge and technology allows to be given... Just say no to cotton. It has no insulative value when wet. I've been toasty warm in a flooded drysuit with the proper undergarments.

Though I don't own one, of course a drysuit is best. My only problem is hands (even the feet are OK in 40 F water or lower). If it's below about 43 F I switch to the 3 fingered mitts. Somehow even the thumb and pointer finger stay warm even though they are separate from the other 3. It's like night and day from the 5 fingered gloves.

I've just replaced my 7mm wetsuit with a 7mm semidry + 7mm hooded west. Testing it on the weekend :dork2:.

Crazy idea: I need to figure out, how can I bring an isosteal flask of hot tea underwater and drink it:)

I will NEVER dive in water cold enough to warrant the need of anything more than a 3mm wetsuit. Period.

It's too bad that you're limiting yourself and closing off so much amazing diving and sea life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I will NEVER dive in water cold enough to warrant the need of anything more than a 3mm wetsuit. Period.
I understand this sentiment. It was similar to my own for the first eight or ten years I was diving. Then a confluence of economics, friends and time came together and set me right. There's a whole big world of water out there, and these days my favorite diving doesn't include anything at all commonly thought of as "warm water diving".

I'm not in a position to travel, so cold water is it here at home. I've been to a warm water destination twice since being certified in 1988, and one of those was right after completion of OW. Nothing wrong with cold water, just be prepared. 14 mm of neoprene, and a soggy cold SI is just wrong! A Dry Suit makes it enjoyable.

Last edited:
If I were thinking like that, I wouldn't be diving. Period.

That's fine, but understand that it doesn't have to be an issue of misery and endurance. I've posted this link before, but it best shows that one can have a great time in cold water. Notice the edges of the ice holes, they were freezing over throughout the course. Also notice the sweetheart that aced the course in a wetsuit. :shocked2:

Copy and paste wvfa76.org into your browser and scroll way down to the ice diving section. At the bottom of that section is the link to the slideshow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom