How is Buddy Dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been awhile, but when I've rented in Bonaire, I thought there were 2 levels of add on insurance, and that the cheaper (liability, I'm thinking?) was around $50?

Richard.

Thank you all for your responses, they have been very helpful. It seems BD has everything we want. Any ideas on how much the insurance is for the rental vehicle? I read that is not included. Any other input is gratefully appreciated.
If you're American; definitely check with your credit card company. 90% of them will cover a rental if you rent it with their card. They just don't tell you this.

If you're American; definitely check with your credit card company. 90% of them will cover a rental if you rent it with their card. They just don't tell you this.

I checked with all my card companies. The card agreements say rental CARS so I asked about trucks. All said they are not covered.

I checked with all my card companies. The card agreements say rental CARS so I asked about trucks. All said they are not covered.

My dive buddies and I have had this discussion/debate, and our concensus is that the rental trucks in Bonaire would not be covered. We buy full insurance to be on the safe side.

It's been awhile, but when I've rented in Bonaire, I thought there were 2 levels of add on insurance, and that the cheaper (liability, I'm thinking?) was around $50?

Liability insurance for rental vehicles is required by law on Bonaire and is included on all rental vehicles at no additional charge.
Collision/damage/theft insurance is what you're charged extra for. Some rental companies offer incremental levels of coverage at different rates. The more expensive "premium" coverage typically reduces the deductible and adds coverage for theft and "acts of God".

I've researched this extensively and respectfully disagree. There are at least four criteria required for successfully using a credit card auto policy on Bonaire:

1) Does your credit card cover pickup truck rentals on Bonaire? Visa and Mastercard do not cover trucks or SUVs in foreign countries. I've never heard or read an account of someone using either card successfully for this purpose on Bonaire. If you disagree, please provide evidence to the contrary. American Express's default coverage doesn't cover foreign truck rentals either, but their optional Premium Car Rental Protection does. You have to opt in to this program and pay $24.95 per rental for coverage up to 42 days. I don't know about Discover card.

2) Does your credit card auto insurance offer primary or secondary coverage? Visa/Mastercard/Amex policies that cover rentals in the USA only offer secondary coverage beyond claims paid by your personal auto policy. USA-based personal auto insurance isn't valid for rentals in foreign countries, which is another reason the CC secondary coverage policies aren't accepted either. The optional Amex PCRP policy offers primary coverage, which means your personal policy doesn't come into play. This also makes it an attractive option for some USA-based rentals too, as any claims won't reflect negatively on your personal auto policy rates.

3) Does your Bonaire truck rental company accept your preferred credit card? From what I've seen in recent years, all rental companies on Bonaire accept Visa and Mastercard. To my knowledge only Telerin, Budget, Hertz and Avis accept American Express. IMPORTANT: If you opt to use the Amex PCRP policy the rental fee must be paid with the card to trigger coverage. If the rental fee is buried in a package payment, such as at Buddy Dive, the coverage may not be initiated.

4) Does the Bonaire truck rental company permit you to opt out of their CDW coverage? Currently Telerin and Avis permit this. Budget does not. I don't know about Hertz. Buddy Dive's rental agreement lists CDW or "Full Coverage" as optional.

It's also worth noting that if you waive the rental company's insurance coverage you're liable for all damage, repair, and/or replacement cost of the vehicle. The rental company will expect you to pay them directly. That's why they require a damage deposit and/or credit card in advance of the rental. It'll be up to you to work out any reimbursement for your expense from your credit card company's insurance later.

Personally I rent from Telerin, pay with my Amex card, waive Telerin's CDW, and make sure my Amex PCRP insurance coverage is activated at the beginning of my rental period. This is easy to verify online as soon as Telerin bills my credit card on day 1 of the rental period. So far so good, but I haven't had to make a claim yet.

Thank you all for your responses, they have been very helpful. It seems BD has everything we want. Any ideas on how much the insurance is for the rental vehicle? I read that is not included. Any other input is gratefully appreciated.

We had 2 for our 3 bdrm condo......it wasn't that much(but we split it 3 ways too).....

EDIT.....& you can get automatic trans(1 of the 2 was)..BUT------it was an additional ?~150 bucks, wife & 1 of the other women couldn't(didn't know how) to drive a manuel---& they used that one for their 'running around'......

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses, they have been very helpful. It seems BD has everything we want. Any ideas on how much the insurance is for the rental vehicle? I read that is not included.

$10.90/day for CDW with $350 deductible covers collision and damage, but not theft, fire, flood, or other acts of God.

$19.62/day gets you full insurance with $100 deductible, including theft and acts of God.

Here's the link to Buddy Dive's rental truck agreement: http://www.buddydive.com/pdf/car_rent_agreement.pdf

I've researched this extensively and respectfully disagree. There are at least four criteria required for successfully using a credit card auto policy on Bonaire:

I think it may have to do with the card issuer. My Cabela's Visa card will cover pickups/SUVs, and offers primary coverage. So did my parents card when they were there.

Cards have different policies, and while 90% was an exaggeration, many cards will cover you. Check with the company.

I think it may have to do with the card issuer. My Cabela's Visa card will cover pickups/SUVs, and offers primary coverage. So did my parents card when they were there.

Cards have different policies, and while 90% was an exaggeration, many cards will cover you. Check with the company.

Again I disagree. You say "many cards will cover you" and I'm challenging you to provide a few examples beyond your own opinion and speculation.

I didn't believe your claim that your Cabela's Club card is different than other consumer Visa cards, so I just called their Visa line and asked. (Thanks for the suggestion.) Cabela's doesn't offer unique auto insurance protection with their Cabela's Club Visa card. But they did tell me that it's included with standard Visa Signature series credit cards, which the Cabela's Visa is one of. I called Visa and they referred me to the same website that I've been redirected too for my previous REI and CapitalOne Venture Visa card inquiries.

From that website:
"What types of rental vehicles are not covered? Excluded worldwide are: expensive, exotic, and antique automobiles; certain vans; vehicles that have an open cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds, and motorbikes; limousines; and recreational vehicles."

I asked specifically about pickup trucks. Not covered.

I'm not trying to pick nits. I just want to share accurate advice.

Again I disagree. You say "many cards will cover you" and I'm challenging you to provide a few examples beyond your own opinion and speculation.

Many will; but it depends on the vehicle. You can dive many sites with a car.

I'm not trying to pick nits. I just want to share accurate advice.
Well, that's what I was quoted for the signature Black. Either way; that's in the past.

However, this brings up an interesting point I just remembered. I paid with my debit card (so as to not cost the LDS $50 in transaction fees). Didn't pay with the Cabela's card...I'm going to have to pay the Buddy Dive insurance... damn. :D

Back
Top Bottom