How is Buddy Dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The extra insurance is a good investment in peace of mind. I've had trucks bashed in Bonaire in the buddy dive parking lot and at shore dive parking as well. There is something to be said for just being able to walk away rather than having to chase your own credit card company for reimbursement.

There is something to be said for just being able to walk away rather than having to chase your own credit card company for reimbursement.

Agreed. It was almost worth the extra $40 for the ease of pick up and check out. Didn't have to look the truck over for dents, etc.

Just arrived from Bonaire and wow, what a great week at Buddy Dive. No problems at all, only good dives, good peoples, good food and I felt safe every where. I paid the extra for the insurance... just in case.

Envoyé de mon SM-T310 en utilisant Tapatalk

I've researched this extensively and respectfully disagree. There are at least four criteria required for successfully using a credit card auto policy on Bonaire:

1) Does your credit card cover pickup truck rentals on Bonaire? Visa and Mastercard do not cover trucks or SUVs in foreign countries. I've never heard or read an account of someone using either card successfully for this purpose on Bonaire. If you disagree, please provide evidence to the contrary. American Express's default coverage doesn't cover foreign truck rentals either, but their optional Premium Car Rental Protection does. You have to opt in to this program and pay $24.95 per rental for coverage up to 42 days. I don't know about Discover card.

2) Does your credit card auto insurance offer primary or secondary coverage? Visa/Mastercard/Amex policies that cover rentals in the USA only offer secondary coverage beyond claims paid by your personal auto policy. USA-based personal auto insurance isn't valid for rentals in foreign countries, which is another reason the CC secondary coverage policies aren't accepted either. The optional Amex PCRP policy offers primary coverage, which means your personal policy doesn't come into play. This also makes it an attractive option for some USA-based rentals too, as any claims won't reflect negatively on your personal auto policy rates.

3) Does your Bonaire truck rental company accept your preferred credit card? From what I've seen in recent years, all rental companies on Bonaire accept Visa and Mastercard. To my knowledge only Telerin, Budget, Hertz and Avis accept American Express. IMPORTANT: If you opt to use the Amex PCRP policy the rental fee must be paid with the card to trigger coverage. If the rental fee is buried in a package payment, such as at Buddy Dive, the coverage may not be initiated.

4) Does the Bonaire truck rental company permit you to opt out of their CDW coverage? Currently Telerin and Avis permit this. Budget does not. I don't know about Hertz. Buddy Dive's rental agreement lists CDW or "Full Coverage" as optional.

It's also worth noting that if you waive the rental company's insurance coverage you're liable for all damage, repair, and/or replacement cost of the vehicle. The rental company will expect you to pay them directly. That's why they require a damage deposit and/or credit card in advance of the rental. It'll be up to you to work out any reimbursement for your expense from your credit card company's insurance later.

Personally I rent from Telerin, pay with my Amex card, waive Telerin's CDW, and make sure my Amex PCRP insurance coverage is activated at the beginning of my rental period. This is easy to verify online as soon as Telerin bills my credit card on day 1 of the rental period. So far so good, but I haven't had to make a claim yet.

I've made the calls as well. My primary auto policy will cover rentals, but not off-road which is all of Bonaire. Our Platinum AmEx card does cover trucks and off road for the $24.99. As Buddy Dive is a packaged deal, I call AmEx, explain I booked a package with rental included and I want the optional AmEx policy, they apply the fee $24.99 for the premium car rental and off I go.

Just one of many AmEx benefits if you call/ask/read all the materials they send. Also get access to air clubs (not that Bonaire has a Delta club) and a credit for baggage fees up to $200/yr. Unrelated to diving we HAVE tried to invoke the buyers insurance related to an online purchase. Long and short - they (the AmEx underwriters) will try to grind you down to walk away from the claim. Having the papertrail - receipts, emails to vendor, names and dates of conversations is priceless. Eventually the vendor accepted the return of the faulty merchandise. My guess is making an auto claim would be similar.

I did't have problem with the Wi-Fi from my appartement 215 (really nice ocean view)

Envoyé de mon SM-T310 en utilisant Tapatalk

I avoid using the internet while there. As a wise man said,

"Gonna put the world away for a minute,
pretend I don't live in it,
Sunshine gonna wash my blues away...."

:D

We were there for our honeymoon. We did not use the Internet.

We were there for our honeymoon. We did not use the Internet.

Congrats on the nuptials! Internet varies. In March it was down for 4 of 14 days, some days it was intermittent, some days worked like a charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom